XR 250 FRONT SUSPENSION

FRONT SUSPENSION IS SOFT. I HAVE TAKEN OFF THE FORK CAPS AND TOPPED THE OIL TO THE RECOMMENDED LEVEL. HOWEVER I WAS TOLD BY THE SELLER THAT THE BIKE IS FITTED WITH GOLD FORK VALVES.

1. HOW CAN I TELL

2. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE OIL LEVEL SHOULD BE IF GOLD VALVES ARE FITTED.

3. I FOUND THE OIL LEVEL SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW LEVEL

THANKS

Mustang,

I'm no suspension expert, but I'll share with you what I know.

I've got Gold Valves in the forks of my 1999 XR250. Unfortunately, I have yet to make the time to ride significantly and "dial them in".

To determine if you do have the Gold Valves installed, you will have to remove the compression units from the bottom of the forks. This will require a large (23mm?) hex head and a special tool to hold the inner fork cartridge from turning (I bought the special tool from Motion Pro, approx. $40). And then you'll need a torque wrench when putting the forks back together. It's not hard work (if you have the tools) and the shop manual and time.

The Gold Valves have approx the same volume as the stock valves, so I wouldn't think that the oil level would be any different from the stock level recommendation. I beleive that RaceTech recommends a level of 120mm from the top of the oil to the top of the fork (when the fork is collapsed and the spring is removed). I'll look in my directions tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

It's my understanding that the oil level only effects the fork under maximum compression (i.e., at the "bottom"), and it does not significantly effect how soft the suspension feels. I believe that the oil weight has a more significant effect upon that behavior. And I believe that it's the fork spring rate that has the most significant effect upon the feel of the suspension.

So, maybe what you need is stiffer fork springs.

You can find all of this info on the Racetech web site (including a spring rate calculator (which bases its recommendation on your weight, riding sytle, etc.).

I hope this helps.

Dale

Stiffer fork springs are the answer. I weigh 175 lbs with riding gear and currently have 0.40 springs in my 250. I backed off the compression adj. screws to help retain some of the subtle feel over small stuff. It helps keep the forks riding higher in the travel. I ride hare scrambles on the east coast. I may even go to 0.42 springs.

hi i have a 2001 xr 250 how much oil do the front forks take ?? they are stock forks

please e-mail me

ultra05@sbcglobal.net

thanks

I have a xr 200r... and I love the bike but the only 1 thing i hate about it is the Front forks.. Thats the only thing they are a bit soft but the bike is bullet proof if you find anything out let me know.