DRZ400 rebuild/supermoto treatment

Hello all, new here.

I've just acquired a DRZ-S which was an insurance write-off. It's been cosmetically wrecked by the kids who stole it and the wiring is completely shot. But engine, frame, suspension and wheels look fine.

My plan is to rebuild it as cheap as poss (eg only using genuine Suzuki parts where necessary), then give it the Supermoto treatment.

Here's a list of the parts (below) that are shagged/missing - if anyone has secondhand items for sale (and is in the Midlands, UK!) then get in touch to sean_warwick@hotmail.com

Otherwise I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who has supermoto'd their DRZ - what parts you used; did they bolt straight on? Were they good value etc.

Model: Suzuki DRZ400-S

Year: 2000

Colour: Blue

Top yoke stanchion clamp bolts + washers x 2

Mirrors

Left hand switchgear set

Right hand switchgear set

Complete wiring loom

Ignition barrel + set of keys

Air filter box cover (if there is one)

Battery housing/mounting + fixings

Battery

Battery earth lead

Workshop manual

Left hand engine cover + gasket

Neutral sensor(?) (eg thing on lh side bottom of engine near gear lever with 3 wires coming out of it!)

Radiator sensors(?) x 2 (eg things that screw into top of rads, with wires coming out of them!)

Pillion footrests + fixings (probably won’t bother)

Speedo cable

Speedo drive cable retaining bolt

Complete instruments assembly

Fuel tank + fixings

Fuel filler cap and breather

Radiator shrouds + fixings

Brake lever

Clutch lever

All side panels + fixings

Air filter (and cage, if there is one)

Full set indicators + fixings

Complete front headlight assembly + fixings

Complete rear light assembly/ reg plate holder + fixings

Or is this an overambitious project?!

All comments welcome

welcome!well you have a nice project ahead of you!overambituous,i dont think so!

burned-drz.jpg

blackrims-3.jpg

Man that is a long list of parts! Burned's project looked pretty bad too, but at least your stuff is not melted anywhere. Good luck.

Argh!!! He done it again :)

That photo should have a warning attached before it fills the screen :D

I think it sounds like an easy project.

Pick up a dualsport kit (bajadesigns or elecrixUSA) $400. USD

The other goodies are bolt on , many are aftermarket. What did you pay for it? How much is a new one for comparison?

Its value as a write off is probably about £2000, and they cost about £4500 new over here.

Any Brit-based posters here who would recommend suppliers they've used either UK-based or got stuff from abroad, off the net?

Hi there sean and welcome to TT.

I live in Belfast N. Ireland and i recently aquirred an exhaust insert off an English guy in Germany. About 2 months ago he had a 2001 S competely stripped down and nearly all the parts were for sale. Give him a shout. He uses the yahoo european DRZ group. Hopefully he will be able to sort you out with allot of the stuff you are after. His email is symonds@web.de Say Gary sent you. Good luck

:)

Top stuff Gary, I'll try him...