HANDS GOING NUMB??

I AM 36YRS OLD AND HAVEN'T RIDDEN ALOT IN LAST 15 YRS. JUST GOT A NEW 525 MXC THAT I LOVE, BUT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY HANDS GOING TINGLY THEN COMPLETELY NUMB WHEN I RIDE. AM I JUST OLD AND OUT OF SHAPE OR IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO. I DON'T THINK I'M HOLDING ON TO TIGHT. I WOULD WELCOME ANY CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS.

I have had the same problem with other big bore 4-strokes. I had success using a liquid bar snake and pro-grip brand grips, as they are a little thicker and offer some help with the buzz.

You are just old.

THANKS CRF I KNEW THAT WAS COMING. THATS WHY I SAID CONSTRUCTIVE

Hi Gatekeeper,

I had the same problems after switching to my Pro-Tapers TC and Handlebars. I ended up pushing handlebars forward about a 1/2 - 1 inch. I also started riding with my gloves on without fastening the velcro. One other thing you may want to do is raise your clutch and front brake levers.

One of the above fixed my problem. Good luck

Fryboy

yah the velcro was doing it to me too. I also had serious arm pump going on... I took off the Thor elbow guards and was fine. Blood circulation is undera :crazy:ted!

Fasst Company Anti-Vibe inserts eliminated the vibrations in my bars at all but the highest rpm. And I think they have a money back guarantee. They're one one the best upgrades I've made to my bike.

http://www.fasstco.com/

I would think something simple like some thicker, softer grips would be a good start. I also think a little more riding time would help as well. I notice aches, pains and arm pump at the begining of the season, but after a few rides it goes away. I always thought that taper style bars helped reduce vibration.

I started racing at age 40 five summers ago. I started on an 98 380MXC and had massive hand numbness problems. I was able to fight it for an hour for the C class HS and did win state that year. However, when I moved myself up to B at the last race that first year, I found the 2+ hour races impossible to ride because of the problem. I fought it with various bar bends and types, bar fillers, different grips, carpal tunnel syndrome tests, aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin B, etc, etc, etc. No difference.

I finally traded the bike on a 99 250EXC to get rid of the very stout vibration in the 380. What a difference! It instantly fixed 98% of my problem. The rest was taken care of by just remembering to keep my elbows up. And the best part was that if I felt the numbness coming on, I could correct my technique and get it to go away! Never happened on the 380. I had to stop and shake 'em out.

The 400E and 450E have even less vibration and it's pretty rare for me to get any numbness from riding that bike. I'd guess the 520 wouldn't be a lot worse as both bikes have counter balancers at work. My suggestion would be to first go get checked out for CTS. The preliminary test is quick and painless. If you have symptoms, the followon tests, from what I hear, are painful.

If that checks out okay, try adjusting your riding style. Keep you elbows up, over-grip the grips, don't hang on but instead keep a loose grip, keep two fingers on the clutch and brake lever to help loosen your grip and lean forward before you pull the trigger as much as you can.

Good luck solving this. It can be a bugger of a problem. I think some of us are just more prone to it than others. I never get arm pump though so I should count my blessings.

Whenever my hands would go numb, I noticed my gloves were on too tight. Try loosening the velcro strap and pulling on the tips of the fingers to loosen the glove up.

Hi

I personally found that the stock KTM bars cause my hands to go numb if they are set too upright- ie rotated forward in the clamps. I sort of like the feel of them in this position when standing on the pegs, but once I sit down then problems begin. Rotate them back so the grips angle down slightly below horizontal when viewed from the back of the bike, and the problem will go away. Or do what I did and buy another set of bars- my favorite at the moment is the Pastrana Suzuki bend- no more blisters on my thumbs! The stock bars off my new 450 went straight on the shelf.

Gary

I had this happen to me, but only on my right hand. I went and saw my Doctor, and he diagnosed Carpel Tunnel Syndrom (A type of RSI).

I had a simple operation on the palm of my hand, and I haven't had the problem for 4 years now.

Charlie

I had the exact problem and solved it completely by tightening the motor mount bolts, and every other bolt I could get a tool on.

I had the numbness and lots of pain to boot. Diagnosed with Carpal tunnel. Had the surgery on both hands over a year ago and have not had one ounce of problem ever since. Surgery was simple and recovery was fast.

I'm 30 and I get numb hands too. I got it bad a couple of weeks ago when I rode MX for the first time in ages at the local that I've just joined. Being on my little trail bike obviously didn't help, suspension bottoming everywhere! I've decided not to do any more MX until I get my new bike. I did ride MX/enduro last week on a home track and didn't feel the numbness at all. I think that more seat time will lessen the chances of the numbness. I've also been doing some light weight training and I didn't feel arm pump at all on the home track. I'm definitely going to continue the training, it also helped to ride faster!

Thanks everyone for mentioning the "carpel tunnel syndrome". I think I may need the op aswell, especially because I do production line work. My right hand has been bothering me for about three and a half years now, after a friend of a friend (who can't ride!) shot across (hanging off the back unable to throttle off) in front of me as I was coming up to a jump (on a KX250). I tried to drop my bike, but too late! The only things that got hurt was my right wrist, hand and two fingers, and of course the other guy got away with a few scratches. My hand was 'blown up' for a few days and I think that I should have had more than a week off of work to get it to heal properly. An office job would probably have helped too!

Sorry to give you all my 'sob story', but I'm so 'pissed off' at that guy still! He rode into a barb-wire fence a month later, somewhat lessening my pain.

Don't know that I have any good advice, but thought I'd pitch in my observations in the hope it can help you trace/eliminate the cause.

I'm 48 and ride an '01 520 MXC. My hands have never gone numb, but can feel them tightening up on the first 10 minutes of a ride - I usually stop for a couple of minutes then to adjust mentally and relax my grip and then I'm good for the rest of the day as i get into that flow. I do like to wear elbow pads,but have recently stopped as I found they make the tightening sensation worse. I wear the largest size gloves made and cut the wrist cuffs on my jerseys to allow better blood flow in my hands - there is a definite improvement.

In short, I've found both mental awareness and loose fitting clothes that improve blood-flow make a big difference. Good luck!

You can relieve CTS somewhat by doing a simple exercise before and after each ride or during rest breaks:

Straighten your fingers and keep your hand tensed and straight.

Use the other hand to slowly pull back on the straightened finger tips pulling the fingers back towards your shoulder. You should feel a stretch on the underside of your wrist /lower forearm.

This apparently stretches the 'sheeth' around the tendons and arteries in your forearm/wrist area allowing more blood to flow.

I'm 34 next week & I also get numb hands from time to time. Usually I can just shake it out while I'm riding, one at a time. I have had CTS for almost 10 yrs, but I think this is blood circulation & gripping angle as some were saying, not really a CTS thing, that is usually real sharp nail thru the wrist type! :) If the anti vib helps you guys id give it a try. I do think loosening grip & raising elbows helps. My .2c :D

My CTS (diagnosed and treated by operation, see above) definatly wasn't a sharp pain, but just a numbness in my fingers, can't remember which ones now, but that's part of the diagnosis.

Charlie