Can a stock ignition cover be welded?

TTer's,

Last week I was climbing a hill that rivals anything in Billings, MT ( To me at least ), and I hit a huge rock that put a hole

in my ignition cover about 2 inches long. My question is, can it be welded? In junior high my science teacher showed the

class that magnesium is flamable. Now I thinking that trying to weld it isn't a good idea.

If it can't be fixed where do i get a new one? Who has the best price?

Thanks, Idaho

I am not sure if it can be welded, however I am sure mag is flammable. I :Df ignited it cant be extinguished and it will burn very BRIGHT.

Mag came be fixed any good reputable weld shop that specializes in alloys can do it.

Ma is flammable but only in powder form and mixed in with water. It has a flash point only when mixed in correct ratio.

However it may be cheaper to just buy a new one then get it welded..

If you care about how it looks, a new cover is about $40 on Partsfish.com.

Otherwise, just JB Weld it. :)

I had a similar gash on my clutch cover and repaired it while on a camp/ride trip. I went ahead and ordered a new cover (about $32), but it is still new in the box. I plan to replace it eventually, but the JB Weld repair seems permanent enough that the only benefit would be cosmetic. I've resisted throwing the new one on there for cosmetic reasons because that always seems to bring me bad mo-jo. I'm afraid that the day I take the time to put it on and admire how nice and new it looks, I'll be certain to bang it up again real good the next chance I get. :D Keep in mind my bike is "desert pin-striped" so anything without scratches on it actually looks out of place. :D

That JB Weld repair has been on there for almost a year now. And, actually, the greyish color kind of blends in and doesn't look too bad if you do a clean job of applying it.

NewRiver

Tape that new one on to the bottom of the bike, dangle from the car for a few hundred feet or just play frisbee with it first.

Your right about new parts.

Geez I rode Hecklers 450 they other day and my 426 has been growling at me ever since :)

I knew if I waited patiently, sooner or later oh wise one you would trip up....Mag is flamable in any form if temp are hot enough.....

I watched in horror five years ago as 5 soldiers (3 good friends) go up in smoke when the Blackhawk Helicopter they were flying did a hardover on the taxi way, crashed and was ignited by the external fuel tanks exploding. 6 Foam trucks could not extinguish the blaze because the composite material (Magnesium) burned so hot it could not be extinguished. All that remained was a small portion of the cockpit and the eng/trans section when it finally went out.

Not a pretty sight to behold....and yes the magnesium burns very brightly.

Bonzai....

Dang I made one freaking mistake in my life and Yamakazee cathes it

BONDS-EYE

I totally ruined.

I did not know that, Must of been drunk that day in metalergy...... :D

Band-Aids

Kazzee

I am sure you are right I thought of this and also need to add yes Mag has a high temp flash point as well as a powder flash point. As with aluminum alloy it will flash at high temps as well. When I was taking metalergy classes for my welding certs, we covered basic metalergy with alloys and flash points.

I will stick by what I said but restat it thanks to you MAKING ME LOOK STUPID :)

So here is the restatement

Yamakazee IS right I am wrong :D

Signed

Humiliated - Defeated - Im not Loved anymore Ego

Idaho,

You can weld it, you can set it on fire, you can epoxy it, and you can replace it. All of the above.

If you do weld it, be cautious of internal clearances.

DaveJ

BTW I never said you could not weld it as i do not know. However I do know that in science class as a kid we took mag strips like a thin film and lit them. Can you say burned retinas! It was the brightest burn of anything I have ever seen, including any arc welders etc. Good Luck :)

If you are looking for a cheap fix, try epoxy. A riding buddy of mine cracked the ignition cover on his RM. He epoxyed it and it's holding up great. It doesen't look to good, but it was a cheap and good fix. :)

WHAT! No! I used to have Volkswagon block bonfires in High School. In its solid form, it WILL burn, although harder to ignite than scrapings. The Arc from a weld is just the ticket to get it going.

The guys on the DRZ forum do this a lot with JB Weld.

Good luck!!

$40 on partsfish.com? I just looked it up there and it was $90. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to be a member or something? Could somebody tell me another place to find these covers too. Thanks, Idaho

I'll be damned, you are correct. The '01 426f ignition cover lists on partsfish for $90.25! The same part on an '01 250F lists for $39.90. What's up with that. :)

The JB weld idea is sounding a lot better. :D

People in Idaho must pay more. Why? Because you guys get to eat at Rupes Burger and the rest of us cannot.

NewRiver

Are you absolutly sure :D

The Part # are the same for the 250 and 426 :)

Man talk abut rip off if thats true. I am not doubting you but are you sure its not a typo. Geeza luiza Im buy 250 covers...

You guys want something that burns HOT, not bright? If you can figure out how to get it lit, either Aluminum Sulfate or Silver Sulfate (one or the other ?? it's been 10 years since I saw it done) burns hot enough to put holes through cement roads. I saw a demonstration in college where they used magnesium (a road flare) to light a pile of the Sulfate on the trunk lid of a junk car...it burnt through the trunk lid, through the trunk floor, through the splashpan under the gas tank (they removed the gas tank) and through a steel plate that they put under the car that was probably 3/8" thick, and then scarred the cement under the plate before it ran out of material. REAL hot schtuff.

The 'hopper'

NewRiver

Are you absolutly sure

The Part # are the same for the 250 and 426

Man talk abut rip off if thats true. I am not doubting you but are you sure its not a typo. Geeza luiza Im buy 250 covers...

Yeah, I checked again. I looked at all the '01s YZ/WR/250F/426F. The prices are the same for both the YZF and WRF versions of each model, but comparing the 250F against the 426F the prices are different:

2001 YAMAHA YZ250F COMPETITION

CRANKCASE COVER

No. Description Price

1 COVER, CRANKCASE 1 $39.90 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

2 PLUG,STRAIT $6.65

3 O-RING $2.85

4 PLUG,STRAIGHT SCRW $8.55

5 O-RING $0.95

6 GASKET, CRANKCASE $3.80

7 PIN, DOWEL $0.59

8 BOLT, SMALL FLANGE $0.95

9 BOLT,FLANGE $0.95

10 COVER, CRANKCASE 3 $145.89 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

11 OIL SEAL $2.85

12 WASHER,PLATE $1.90

13 CIRCLIP $0.59

14 GASKET, CRANKCASE $7.60

15 PIN, DOWEL (J38) $1.90

16 BOLT, SMALL FLANGE $0.95

17 PIPE, WATER $1.90

18 O-RING $0.95

19 COVER, GENERATOR $32.30 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

20 BOLT,FLANGE $0.95

21 BOLT, SMALL FLANGE $0.95

22 BOLT, WASHER BASED $0.59

23 PIN, DOWEL $0.59

24 GASKET, CARBURETOR $3.80

25 CLAMP $5.70

2001 YAMAHA YZ426 COMPETITION

CRANKCASE COVER

No. Description Price

1 COVER, CRANKCASE 1 $90.25 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

2 PLUG,STRAIT $6.65

3 O-RING $2.85

4 PLUG,STRAIGHT SCRW $8.55

5 O-RING $0.95

6 GASKET, CRANKCASE $3.80

7 PIN, DOWEL $0.59

8 BOLT,SMALL FLANGE $0.59

9 BOLT,SMALL FLANGE $0.95

10 COVER, CRANKCASE 3 $167.49 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

11 OIL SEAL $2.85

12 WASHER,PLATE $1.90

13 CIRCLIP $0.59

14 GASKET, CRANKCASE $9.50

15 PIN, DOWEL (J38) $1.90

16 BOLT,SMALL FLANGE $0.95

17 COVER, GENERATOR $96.90 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

18 BOLT,SMALL FLANGE $0.95

19 BOLT,SMALL FLANGE $0.59

20 BOLT, WASHER BASED $0.59

21 PIN, DOWEL $0.59

22 GASKET, CARBURETOR $4.75

23 CLAMP $9.50

24 SEAT,CHECK BALL $4.75

25 BALL 3/8 $0.59

26 SPRING,COMPRESSION $0.95

PartsFish does not list the manufacturers part numbers any more (they used to). Note that the fiche reference numbering is a little different, but compare the prices for the actual covers (identified by name). Something "fishy" is going on here! :)

i have extra ignition cover and clutch cover for yz250f i will sell cheap.

Another vote for JB Weld. Slop it, grind it, sand it and paint it (optional). Just like Bondo, just like the filling in your front tooth.

Molar