subframe rubbing away.

just noticed ,

on the left side... the aluminium subframe is rubbing away at a fast pace, from the riding boots.

I put bunch of layers of color matching duct tape to see how long it will last, it was all rubbed through after an hour ride.

any body have a good suggestion for a frame guard? at a resonable cost ?

I have Maier frame gaurd, black plastic ones (they were only like 35 bucks i think). I like them alot, but they showed scratches real quick. So now I just added a few coats of dupli-color spray on bedliner on it, holds up like steel! In the 3 months the stuff has been on it hasn't worn off in one spot yet. It comes in a can for 8 bucks, well worth it. ?

Not sure how your boots are wearing through the sub-frame... (I'd like to see a photo) On my RM250 I used to use just some clear number plate backing and never had a problem. But for the DRZ I just put these on (they arrived by accident)

797523.jpg

the boots are alpinestar tech-8 "old style"

i did not say it is rubbing through , it is rubbing away.

I will snap some pictures later today and post it.

the best way to discribe it:

if you look at the aluminium subframe, the mid portion of it, the edges are nice and rounded, however closer to the bottom of the subframe where the boot rubs on, the square edge is not round, now it is sharp like a knife.

both the aluminium and carbon-fiber guard looks nice .

How much was it?

where did you get it from?

I too have the WC frame guards like Blk Rfl's - but above that I put on some heavy dut blackish-gray grip tape that I got at the local skateboard shop. I just cut it to fit with an exacto knife. It has stayed on well too - the corners aren't even peeling.

Hollywood ?

The works connection guards IMO are the best choice. You can polish them nice and shiny, and they stay looking nice. The grip tape chews up your boots, and anything else looks hillbilly after a while. I personally don't care about the paint rubbing off and the subframe problem, so I left mine alone. Now it is bare, and looks about like yours. But again I don't care.