Too light or inexperienced for a CRF 450?

Hey Y'all, I weigh a buck 70 w/ gear and an intermediate (yet semi-agressive) woods/trails rider, and I am looking to get off the XR250 and into something faster. I have narrowed it down to the YZ250F and the CRF450. My experienced riding buddy thinks that the CRF might be too damn much bike for my weight/experience. Anyone out there who fits my profile that can help?

Thanks!

Don't worry about weight. I would go for the bigger bike. You can always ride it slow till you get a feel for the power. If you buy the slow bike its a lot harder to make it faster when you talent goes past the bike.

Later

I don't think I would describe a YZ250F as a "slow" bike by any means. For a lighter rider they are a bullet, bigger guys just have to ride them harder.The YZ250F is in a different league than your XR. Try to get a ride on both bikes before you buy and then decide. :)

No doubt you could make the CRF "work" but why?

The WR is MADE for you! They are a great bike for woods...just cause you CAN pound nails with a 3 pound hammer don't make it a good idea! :)

I'm a little less than a buck sixty myself and the 250F will definitely take up the slack where that XR250 has been leaving you wallowing. It likes to be ridden aggressively and you will have a blast trying to learn to fully utilize all the performance it can give you.

You could get a bigger bike and ride it slower. That would be fun. How 'bout a XR650? :)

Seriously, until you get a chance to test ride these bikes, you are just guessing at how they will fit your needs. We can only guess with you. If I had to go off of a guess I'd rather have a bike I know I can ride than one I might be a little afraid of twisting too hard. And why carry around the extra weight if you don't need it?

BTW, just curious, why not also consider the blue 450F as well? And why not WR? Never found yourself out on the trail after dark with your XR?

I notice your a woods rider. If I were you I'd wait for the CRF250X. I weigh about the same and the CRF 450 is a blast until the trail gets tech. I don't know about the YZ, it sounds like fun. If I understand it correctly the CRF250x is going to be set up more for trails than track. Plus the magic button.

I ASKED PRETTY MUCH THE SAME QUESTION ON ANOTHER POST BUT NO REAL HELP. I HOPE THE ORGINAL PERSON ASKING THIS QUESTION WON'T MIND BUT I'M RIDING A 96 125 RIGHT NOW AND I'M BEEN WANTING THE CRF250R. I'M 6'0 195 21 YRS. DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD GET THE 250R WHEN IT COMES OUT OR GET THE 450. ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE. AND SORRY FOR BUTTING IN ON YOUR TOPIC.

Riderman-82

I think it depends on what kind of riding your planing on doing.

But my first response is to go big. The 450 will go just as slow as the 250.

Thanks everyone for the input, I know it's a shot in the dark to answer a question like that, but it does help to hear your opinions!

rpadgett2 - That was my thinking too - go with the bigger bike- grow into its power.

Slymax - Good point, I need to ride the bikes. I will get a chance on a CRF this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Chris-Mojave- Yup I was all stuck on the WR250 until I starded "weighing" the differences -Weight, Weight, Weight and the fact that I would rather have the YZ power out of the box without all the mods. A freind of mine got rid of his WR426 cuz it was sort of a pig (his opinion..sorry)

NeWRiver - Perfect term "wallowing"..thats my experience on the XR now. Yup- The YZ I know will be a major step up I am sure I will have a blast. But what about next year? Will I be yearning for the 450 power? Maybe. The Blue 450 is an option for sure, but as I understand it the CRF has a little smoother power delivery.

BOB - The CRF 250X got me all excited for a while, but the CRF 250 is going to be an ALL NEW engine...I'm not sure if I want to be a pioneer in that area. Love RED tho...

Thanks again guys. Talking about it does help me make up my mind. Any other thoughts?

-EndoM