CRF150 just in.....

I just picked up my wifes 03 CRF150. Looks very nice and just enough larger for her, over the XR100 she just sold.

Motor seems about the same with a bit more grunt. suspension and brakes are better, feels much more like a real bike.

For those who care. I weighed the bike: 100lbs on the front, 115lbs on the rear (so 215lbs total) with about a gallon in the tank on a scale that tends to read about 5lbs high. Not bad....

Doesn't feel much heavier then a TTR125L

I can't wait until she gets to ride it!

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca

ow595@aol.com

Wow Thts heavy!

Thats 75 lbs heavier than my XR100!

ow595-I,m in the same situation as you but were still waiting for the 150 to show up here in Hawaii./we'll sell the 100 when it does.Would be interested in any feedback you folks have as you go along.Thanks for posting your new bike and were really excited about getting and riding tougher trails on the 150-Maco :)

A little more update...

I'm more and more impressed with the CRF150 as I notice the details (for and entry level bike). The rear shock and swingarm are really stout, seem almost as beefy as my KTM 520's. Brakes are the same (disc, caliper, mastercylinder) as a XR650R!, as I'm able to compare it, as I have a bunch of bikes in my garage as were are heading out to Mojave tommorrow until Sunday. Footpegs are larger then the XR650R's but could stand to be sharper. I have been running the bike up and down my street trying to put a good heat cycle in it everyday. Motor seems to have a higher top speed over a Xr100 or TTr125L and more power too. This will be a really fun bike with a bit of tuning to make the motor more snappy. As the brakes are bedding in they feel very nice ( if they can stop a 300lbs XR650R , it should be no problem for this 215lbs bike).

More to come once we actually ride it in the dirt.

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca

595-Were drooling over here.Know you will have a blast running the 150 in the dirt.Don't forget to let your wife ride it a little.I've been checking the Helmic sight for a service manual and even phoned.They said I must be making a mistake about the model number.Guess I'll have to wait to get that.Glad to hear Honda beefed up the 150.We heat cycled both our xrs,probably babied them,for the first hour of break in.first about 5-10 minutes and then 20-30 minutes.Not sure if that was necessary but we did it anyway.I'm thinking we'll have to change our back sprocket for the hills.Hope y0u grease that 150 up a little before you break it in to much.Our axle bolts were bone dry on the 100.Have fun :)

Keep us all posted. I'm very interested in hearing some objective points of view. The wife is getting either the CRF150 or the new TTR125LE (E for electric start) Yamaha just announced it.

ben

ow595-Well,did you like it? :)

I just got a CRF150 about a week ago. The thing is soooo sweet. The suspesion can handle everything my old KX80 can. I drove one of my friends TT-R125l with a pipe and the CRF is no match for it. The CRF dominates. Check out www.bbrmotorsports.com for more info about the CRF150/230. :)

The CRF seems pretty nice. But, it seems like a TTR with stiffer springs would be alot better on a motocross track. I know neither are really race bikes but I refuse to ride a 2 smoke, so I did some things to my TTR to make it raceable. Also, the CRF has a lower compression ratio and keep in mind that the TTR is way lighter. Also, I have not heard very good reviews on the new CRF.

I was finally able to brake in the CRF150 and log in a good day of riding on it. I didn't even bother to bring my 02 KTM 520EXC as I wanted to take it easy and brake in the Honda for my wife. This was at the displeaseure of my riding buddy who brought out his 03 YZ250F, and hated the idea that he would have to wait up all the time for the mini bike.

I had derestricted the CRF this morning before the ride, removing the airbox baffle and exhaust plug....It makes a huge difference.

Well, all I can say is that I am so amazed by this bike. The CRF is nothing like the XR100 it replaced and many times better then the TTR125L. I just helped a buddy build and tune his TTR125L with all the tricks and the CRF is still a much better bike.

With the exception of long hill climbs the CRF really scoots! as long as you build enough steam and get the speed up I was able to tackle twisty tails roads faster then I can on my big bike. It has very good power for a 150, handles great and brakes are very strong! I was giving the yz250F fits on the trails and many time running away from it. I was even able to do smaller doubles on the MX track, even further then on my 520. The suspension could be firmer for 190lbs me when jumping but it still did an amazing job.

The new CRF150 with a little taller gearing and some motor work will be an unstopable little bike.

Becareful if a good rider taunts you on a CRF150, because you make see its tail running away from you. (and I don't even like Hondas much).....

I forgot to mention that I was able to do the long hill climb at Hollister next to the big MX track in second gear!

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca

I was under the same impression but the new CRF150 is such a capible bike. It functions like a big bike that happens to be slightly smaller. The jumping I was able to do on the CRF I would not consider doing on the XR100 or a TTR125L.

This is not in anyway ment to be a slam on the TTR125L, but if you get the chance ride a deristricted CRF150, it quite amazing.

With firmer springs in the front and eventually a bigbore /Hi-comp piston kit this little bike will really challange the bigger bikes.

William Ow

The CRF seems pretty nice. But, it seems like a TTR with stiffer springs would be alot better on a motocross track. I know neither are really race bikes but I refuse to ride a 2 smoke, so I did some things to my TTR to make it raceable. Also, the CRF has a lower compression ratio and keep in mind that the TTR is way lighter. Also, I have not heard very good reviews on the new CRF.

Race a TTR125L with BBR chain guide, Moose handlebar set up, stiffer shock springs, and Pro Circuit T 4 exhaust system.

TTR125Lracer i think your just saying all that bad stuff about the CRF150 because you have either never tried one or just want to think your TTR is better. I raced my friend on my CRF150 against a TTR125L with a procircuit pipe and i still beat him! Whatcha gotta say bout that?

Redrider150F

Sorry to have missed you on IM, I was in the garage, rejetting the CRF of all things.

I moved the needle up two notches and was doing the research for a larger main jet (they use the older style Hex type main jet, so I don't have any in stock). it has a 98 now but I'm thinking of a 110 or 115 main (TTR125L's typically use a 110 with a pipe) and the CRF is a larger motor and seems to make more power so richer main might be neccessary. I will pick up a hand full and try them out.

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca

What about the weight? Does it feel like a pig compared to the TTR?

No doubt it will have better potential since it is already a bigger motor, with more suspension travel, etc, but the weight thing is the only thing buggin me. It is nearly 50 pound heavier than the TTR. A bike that small should be over 200 pounds..

ben

On the same scale, the actual difference is only 30lbs (and that was a very trick TTR125L with BBR everything and excel rims) 215 to 185. When you ride them you can't tell the difference in weight at all. But you do notice that the CRF is a much more capible machine. I was able to rail faster on it in some trails that I am on my full sized bike (and sadly jump further the I can on my 520). Not a thing I could have done with my previous XR100 or my buddies TTR125L, as they just felt like mini bikes.

According to the BBR and Powerll dyno graphs, The stock CRF150 puts dow the same HP (12) as a full blown TTR125L with 150cc bigbore, cams, pipes, larger carb, etc. Actualy when you look at the graphs they are near identical. Again then the CRF builds up to speed, it moves out pretty good.

The way it felt to me, was a light dirtbike rather then a heavy mini bike.

Cheers,

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca

What about the weight? Does it feel like a pig compared to the TTR?

No doubt it will have better potential since it is already a bigger motor, with more suspension travel, etc, but the weight thing is the only thing buggin me. It is nearly 50 pound heavier than the TTR. A bike that small should be over 200 pounds..

ben

My son already has 3 races on this CRF150 with a win and two seconds. Both seconds were behind two stroke MXers. The Yamaha TTr-125 is going to be taking a back seat to this bike. It's all over but the crying. That's just the nature of progress and technology. There is NO comparison between these two bikes. The CRF is magnitudes better. A friend of my son who races a TTR just this weekend asked to try the CRF on the track. When he came back in his dad asked him which bike he liked better and he just smiled and pointed to the CRF. As the other writer here said. You can actually embarrass the guys on the big bikes in the woods. Yes, this is more like a light weight big bike rather than a heavy "mini" bike. This is not even my bike and I love it.

J R

Ow595- I was just wondering how many times you had to turn the mixture screw to get it to fun good and which way you had to tur it? If you could let me now that would be great. Thank you.