Cutting off the stock fork protectors?

I ask a couple of people about using those Seal Savers and I know I'm gonna get hounded by people using them, but the people I've ask said they did more bad than good b/c they would eventually get dirt in there somehow then it stay in there and ruin your seals. I'm curious to where I'm even gonna cut the stock boots off so that I can clean around the seal better and more often. Plus I have a small rip in one of them. Can yall give me your opinion on this?

When I had my DRZ, I would loosen the bottom protector clamps and make sure the seals were clean. While you have them loosened, you can also loosen the top clamps and shoot water down the boots. A lot of junk gets trapped in the accordian-type ribs. Make sure you let the water dry out before tightening the clamps.

I think I've had my DRZ longer than most anyone on the board(I bought it the day they were first brought into the U.S.).

I ride Harescrambles, Enduros, trail ride to excess and ride 600 miles in Colorado every year...that is 1,200 Colorado miles on the DRZ). My fork seals have yet to leak the first drop. Let me say that again....after an estimated 2,500-3,000 trail miles, through mud, sand, rocks, etc, I have the STOCK fork seals in my bike. This is in comparison to my '98KX250 with inverted forks that I replaced the seals EVERY 3 MONTHS!! I'd say the fork boots work just fine.

This isn't to say that the others don't work, but when you have something that good(fork boots), why look for problems?

I cut off my stock accordians and replaced with sealsavers. There was alot of dust inside the accordian (gets in thru the airholes in backside). The sealsavers are awesome and easy to clean.... roll the thing down and spray with hose... takes 10 seconds?

I have about 900 mile on sealsavers and had 900 on accordian.

Dirt never travels inside the sealsaver futher than about half inch. The sealsaver is about 6 inches long. A thread i saw long time ago on DRN (i think) said a survey of suspension shops... they all recommended sealsavers as a good product, and superior to bellows because bellows have airholes. Think about it. Yet I have never, ever heard of drz fork seal problems anyway.

Just a happy customer plugging sealsavers :)

I also have about 2,500 miles on my stock fork seals. I went to SealSavers about half way and find them easy to clean. I just roll them up and down to clean both ends after every ride. About once every other month I take them off completely and wash in the sink with soap. You could even throw them in the wash. The stock boots worked well also but, I ripped one real bad and bought the SealSavers.

heh, heh... well, I guess my DRZ is the exception to the rule. Mine is a 2002 that I bought brand new the beginning of June and now has 600 miles of almost exclusive woods/trail riding. Both, I say again, BOTH of my oil seals have blown within a week of each other. Now both fork legs are off the bike and being repaired under warranty by an excellent local Suzuki shop - Suzuki of Canton. I don't jump, well, o.k.... a little, but not much and am maticulous about cleaning my bike after every ride.

The only suspension mods I've done are RACETECH GoldValves and increased the oil height to ~95mm from the stock 120mm.

I too have a pair of SealSavers I plan to install (Thanks Scarpasl7) when I get my suspension back. Thing is, when I took the bellows off, they were relatively clean on the inside. I pulled the dust cap up on one of the legs and other than being wet with oil, there was no obvious signs of dirt on/around/above the oil seal.

Oh well. I'm glad Suckzuki is covering it under warranty. I plan to install the seal savers and then put the stock bellows back on over them.

For those of you that remove them to clean, are you pulling your fork legs off each time to remove the seal saver?

Hollywood :)

hollywood,

blown seals, raised oil level 25mm? is there a connection perhaps?

(sshhh, i wont say anything to your dealer... hehe) :)

Ballistic,

No, I don't think so. The RaceTech website recommended it and the Mechanic/suspension guy recommended it. It's my understanding that it is a pretty common thing to do to adjust your oil height.

But, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been a contributing cause...

Hollywood :)

I have ridden really old MX bikes with the accordian style fork protectors for years, no problems. The seal savers don't protect your fork tubes from rocks, so you will have to do something to protect them, like get a '96 RM250 number plate. Get a scratch / nick in your fork tube, and I don't care what you have for seal protection, you just trashed the seal. And you will have to wet sand the fork tube to remove the nick.

My oil has been at 95mm for 2.5 years now. :)

Let's see here, you use fork boots and literally do nothing to them or you put something else on that you have to take off and wash all the time.

Hmmmmmmm. Mind made up ...............