08 Scotts Stabilizer update

For those of you interested, I emailed Scotts again about a mount for the 08, they had told me the last time that they would have product ready by the end of the year. Well now that has been pushed back to the end of January hopefully. They said that "The new frame is being more difficult than we had hoped. We are still working on the bracket and hope to have one completed and ready to sell by the end of January." This sucks, does anyone have a GPR on an 08? They show to have one available.

Yes, GPR does have the V4 available for the ‘08 YZ450. It works great, however I don't like that they replaced the stock triple clamp's retaining nut. It's replaced by a cheesy round aluminum insert nut that you tighten with a 1/2 drive ratchet. I stripped mine out trying to torque it to the manufacturer’s specs. I called them and they said tighten it until it feels tight, then I was charged $18 for a new one.

For those of you interested, I emailed Scotts again about a mount for the 08, they had told me the last time that they would have product ready by the end of the year. Well now that has been pushed back to the end of January hopefully. They said that "The new frame is being more difficult than we had hoped. We are still working on the bracket and hope to have one completed and ready to sell by the end of January." This sucks, does anyone have a GPR on an 08? They show to have one available.

Which mount are they saying will take more time? I'm assuming the above or below bar. I saw an '08 with the low mount Scotts (sits just above the front fender). The guy swapped it over from his '06, no problem. The upper mounts are going to be challenging given the taper of the head tube. In fact, I don't know how they are really going to get it to work.

• 3 weeks later...
any news on Scotts damper for YZ450 08?

I don't know, but I installed a scotts steering stabilizer on my 2008 YZ, the only thing I needed to do is to use a longer main screw to hold the bracket to the frame, I've been using it for MX and trails for more than 2 months and so far not a single problem there.

Well, I got my mount in for an 07, it took a little tapping with a hammer but it will work. As mentioned before, you will need a longer bolt at the steering stem and I had to straighten the angle out just a bit with a drill but its on and its not moving. I should have already tried this but didnt want to waste $90 bucks for a mount. I emailed Scotts yesterday inquiring about the mount for the 08 but didnt get a reply, last time I was told hopefully by the end of January.

I think they are just running behind with all the new bikes out. I got the same story from IMS when I bought my tank. Until its researched they cant put it out there and stand behind it. If the mount doesnt fit exactly, many people would give up and want to return it. It does need to be a hair bigger in diameter to work with the supplied bolt but thats all I saw as a problem.

I think they are just running behind with all the new bikes out. I got the same story from IMS when I bought my tank. Until its researched they cant put it out there and stand behind it. If the mount doesnt fit exactly, many people would give up and want to return it. It does need to be a hair bigger in diameter to work with the supplied bolt but thats all I saw as a problem.

As I said, It does work fine, just a little adjustment and that's it, mine is working ok.

Norman, can you post may be a pic or two of your unit installed. Did you use ordinary (longer) bolt or some forged rare metal stuff? As for drilling - can you show where? Same for "hair wider" - did you shave it away or just hammered in?

Sorry - I am a beginner mechanic and have to do everything myself around here (nearest yamaha dealership being over the sea in Hokkaido probably) :banghead:

Quote: Yes, GPR does have the V4 available for the ‘08 YZ450. It works great, however I don't like that they replaced the stock triple clamp's retaining nut. It's replaced by a cheesy round aluminum insert nut that you tighten with a 1/2 drive ratchet. I stripped mine out trying to torque it to the manufacturer’s specs. I called them and they said tighten it until it feels tight, then I was charged $18 for a new one.

I had a similar problem with that nut on a V4 I put on my 07. I faxed them the page from the Yamaha owners manual that showed the correct torque value for the SS nut (~100' LBS) and their installation page that makes no mention of any particular torque value for the cheezy SS nut they provide. Same result, no sympathy and a bill for the new cheezy nut.

You'd think after I went to the trouble to point this out almost a year ago they would have at least added a torque value to their installation instruction page (looks like somebody spent about 20 minutes typing up some random thoughts on installing their product). I guess they like the margin on those cheezy SS nuts and know they have you by the "nuts" after dropping a few hundred on their stabilizer.

I'll never stray from Scotts again

If you have ever read their warranty info on their website, that would be enough to keep you from buying one. First thing it says is "no refunds, no exceptions". The last one I bought was leaking straight out of the box.

Windseeker, all I did was took the bolt out, spred it with a flat blade screwdriver and tap it down onto the frame. I didnt shave or grind anything. I used a regular bolt that I had with a allen head similar to the one that came with it. When you put the bolt through, it doesnt quite line up with the threaded side, I just got my drill and basically widened the hole to straighten the path of the bolt so it would catch the threads on the other side. If you need some pics I will take them, I havent posted any on here in a long time, I will have to figure out how again. There really is nothing to it.