easy fork question

When i remove my fork caps completely from the forks are they supposed to extend way past their normal position? Sorry if this is a dumb question, i can't remember my kx250 forks doing this and I didn't want to hit a jump and have it turn into a chopper in the air. thanks for the help, Bird

What the hell are you talking about.

Yes, you'll have to compress the forks slightly to re-install the end caps.

Merf

Look in your manual, you DON'T want your forks comming apart off a jump, or piling up on a landing. Ugly, owie, EXPENSIVE. If you don't have a manual, find someone who knows what they are doing. The suspension is a critical component.

Steve

I think what he means is that when you remove the fork cap from the top of the compression rod, the fork falls down further, extending out in length greater than as assembled on the bike. Chopper like.

At this point the inner bushing is is making contact with the slide washer and main seal.

It's normal, just make sure you get things back together correctly.

DaveJ

Thanks dave and everyone, this is only the second time I have taken forks apart and I was almost sure everything was ok, now I am positive which is better than almost sure, I really do appreciate the help. Bird