Thoughts on 450 clutch

Just wondering, with the grabby clutches. With these dry sump motors, there isn't going to be much oil in the clutch once the motor is running, or have I got it all wrong? Doesn't all the oil get pumped into the frame, then just fed to the varios lube points? Seems like the only time the clutch would be sitting in any amount of oil is when it is stopped, at which time the clutch plates are firmly clamped together by spring pressure. Ive noticed the clutches tend to be grabby on my 4 strokes and I've had 3. Every time I'd take the clutch apart to look I noticed the inner & outer plates would be dry and burned. I have always put it down to lack of oil in that area??? Seems we need a way to get more oil to stay in the clutch, without losing oil pressure elsewhere. What little oil gets there sure seems to burn up fast with even a small amount of clutch use. Anybody got any ideas?

I have a 2003 yzf450 and I noticed the grabby clutch but, only at slow speeds. It is starting to sound like more and more that our bikes are going to have to be turned back into a wet sump clutch. I am just waiting to see what fixes yamaha comes up with before I make the bike a wet sump clutch myself. My next phone call is to Hinson clutch co. to see if they have any Ideas yet.

I have been racing the YZ450 for almost a month now. This is my forth big yzf. The clutch on every one that I have had drags a little if I would take off when it is cold. After it was warmed up it was fine. The same is true with my new 450. Until I see a problem, I am not going to get too concerned. The yz450f is the best bike that I have owned.

It is starting to sound like more and more that our bikes are going to have to be turned back into a wet sump clutch.

Well first of all the dry sump engine was my deciding factor for buying the YZ 450, the dry sump is a far superior oil system in any motorsport racing, it gives you the ability to cool the oil by taking the oil from the moving parts and then returning it at a lower temperature, plus you can run a larger oil capacity which is always a plus for durability, it also reduces the hydraulic drag on the rotating assembly (similiar to running a widage tray in race cars).

Just remember if you wan't a wet sump you will loose time on the life of the motor, all of your big V-8 race engines run dry sumps, mainly to reduce drag on the crank and to cool the oil.

Later, Jason

If anyone finds a fix to the grabby clutch please post it, I really am not liking the 450 clutch. But the rest of the bike is a dream come true! :)