How to Lighten Up a DR650?

I was wanting to lighten up my DR the best/safest way I can. I have currently changed out my tank to an IMS and have a Two Bros Racing Slip On. Other than that, my bike is stock. I'm thinking of sending my suspension to RaceTech.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm 6'3" and weigh 260lb. Thanks a lot people.

I was wanting to lighten up my DR the best/safest way I can. I have currently changed out my tank to an IMS and have a Two Bros Racing Slip On. Other than that, my bike is stock. I'm thinking of sending my suspension to RaceTech.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm 6'3" and weigh 260lb. Thanks a lot people.

The pipe is the key weight loss for this bike. After that it's cubic dollars to save troy ounces in comparison. :banghead: Get that suspension done a ride it like you stole it! :busted:

After having torn the bike right down you can't help but notice everything is designed to fit just so. Lots of little brackets and in and outs. It would be a nightmare for even a good fabricater to duplicate the subframe in aluminum. And the weight savings wouldn't be worth the effort IMHO. Trying to lighten the DR650 beyond some simple tricks is a pointless goal, if there ever was a good example of taking the gas cap off and sliding a lighter bike underneath this is it.

Bernie and Rob have summed up perfectly the weight loss issue. Not much beyond this except.....KTM ......:banghead:

Seriously depends what you want in a Dual Sport bike. And what you DO with your bike. The fact is....even in it's slightly porky state the DR650 out performs most of the competition in many areas....especially the day to day practical areas.

It's also a very rugged bike and can be beat on hard and survive for years. I love KTM (lighter, faster, better handling) but I'm not sure I'd be willing to beat the crap out of a new $9000 690!:busted:

If you look at cost of maintainance, intial buy in cost and farkling costs, the DR is not sexy but makes a lot of sense.

If you ride only dirt and don't have to carry luggage or do long trips then perhaps a more performance oriented bike would make sense for you. Think Honda XR650R, KTM 530 EXC, Husky 610. The more you know and the more bikes you own, ride and maintain, the more you'll appreciate the DR.

Patrick:ride:

Hummmmm:rolleyes:

How about taking the stupid reflectors off... and the back PEGs ?

Other than that things kinda got to stay to be a D.Sport

DSCF1196-1.jpg

Holy smokes! The first thing I'd remove from that bike is that K&N leaf catcher sticker! :busted: Hey wait a minute.... you crafty devil you! :banghead: I see your plan. Allowing all that dirt into your engine wears away at the heavy engine parts reducing weight... and high center of gravity weight to boot. Brilliant!! :D

Holy smokes! The first thing I'd remove from that bike is that K&N leaf catcher sticker! :busted: Hey wait a minute.... you crafty devil you! :banghead: I see your plan. Allowing all that dirt into your engine wears away at the heavy engine parts reducing weight... and high center of gravity weight to boot. Brilliant!! :D

Just doin' my part for the enviroment turning dust and dirt into long chain hydocarbons .....

1434587194_d0d6ac108f.jpg?v=0

I too was concerned about excess weight on my bike...not that it would improve, but I wanted the weight to be for my camping gear and not the stock pipe or the rear pegs...

I haven't changed this yet for the fmf Q2, but i did take off the rear pegs, which are suprisingly heavy...

saving 10 lbs for my ultralight camping gear makes more sense to me as my ultralight sleeping bag (1lb 8oz), ultralight tent (2 person 3lbs 10oz), air pad (2lbs), and cooking gear should weigh in at less than 15 pounds with food...

We also have to consider water capacity (1 gallon = 8lbs apprx.) riding for extended trips in mojave deserts...

I am planning to switch stock pipe to fmfQ2 and main jet and airbox and needle but I need mpg over real performance gains...

I too was concerned about excess weight on my bike...not that it would improve, but I wanted the weight to be for my camping gear and not the stock pipe or the rear pegs...

I haven't changed this yet for the fmf Q2, but i did take off the rear pegs, which are suprisingly heavy...

saving 10 lbs for my ultralight camping gear makes more sense to me as my ultralight sleeping bag (1lb 8oz), ultralight tent (2 person 3lbs 10oz), air pad (2lbs), and cooking gear should weigh in at less than 15 pounds with food...

We also have to consider water capacity (1 gallon = 8lbs apprx.) riding for extended trips in mojave deserts...

I am planning to switch stock pipe to fmfQ2 and main jet and airbox and needle but I need mpg over real performance gains...

Then you will just have to lean out the DJ jetting. The highest mileage I ever got on my 14/42 geared DR650 was with one rendition of the DJ set up during my Needle Comparison thread. Even with selecting lean jetting settings the open air box will produce better power than the stock choked off unit. :banghead:

I was wanting to lighten up my DR the best/safest way I can.

After the exhaust, the next biggest weight pig is the stock headlamp assembly. Replace it with a DOT approved Acerbis unit. Doing that and a few other simple (and reversible) changes will shave another 10 lbs beyond the savings you get with the exhaust.

Andy

I have changed the exhaust, but I'm still hanging out at 300lbs. Would going to different hubs and rims help too? What about Race Tech suspension.

Here's my deal. I have a new baby on the way and I would love to get a KTM 530exc but that's not going to happen. What I have is what I got. I can get parts subtley. All the advice has been great. Keep it coming.:banghead:

That's too funny Rob! Good one!

To quote Berni ..."if there ever was a good example of taking the gas cap off and sliding a lighter bike underneath this is it". Too True!

The DR is what it is. Buy tires, an exhaust system, a jetting kit, springs front and rear and revalve the suspension. Forget the weight.

Then beat it like a rented mule! If you didn't know, you bought it for it's durability and simplicity, enjoy it!

All these clean bikes. Mine hasn't looked that good since the day I bought her. I took off the stock exhaust, all the rear tag brackets and used the front reflector mounts to hold the tag, The helmet lock and rear foot pegs left too. All the California smog stuff, I think that left too about 30 seconds after it got home. Not much else that can come off though. For races I take off the chain guard, all the turn signals and the mirrors. Really there isn't anything that can come off cheaply.