Sign in to follow this  

250r V.s. 250x

could someone please tell me the differences in the motor, tranny, and suspension from a 250x and a 250r...i have a 250x but i want to get a 250r...ive herd that many people say there are alot of differences...someone please help me out!

could someone please tell me the differences in the motor, tranny, and suspension from a 250x and a 250r...i have a 250x but i want to get a 250r...ive herd that many people say there are alot of differences...someone please help me out!

I have owned them both,they are not the same bike.

the crf250x is designed for trail riding,haresrcamble and enduro type racing.

the suspension on the x works real nice for off road.it does have the wide ratio trans which is great for open fire roads.it has electric start.also has lights.

the crf250r is designed for motocross.the suspension is stiff for hitting jumps.the motor is agressive for short bursts of power to hit jumps.

it is kick start only. I hope this helps u

I took my R for the first time rockcrawling in 4x4 roads. Let's just say my dad with his little 230F kicked my butt! While i just bounced over everthing, the suspension on the 230 soaked it up wonderfully. Also, my first gear was not low enough so crawl. However, there were a few spots were i was able to get on it, and left him in the dust! :banghead:

-lights

-tank

-rear fender

-rads

-CDI box

-pipe

-cyl. head

-camshaft

-subframe

-airbox

-tranny ratios

-electric start

-suspension valving

-sprockets

umm might be more im forgetting

I took my R for the first time rockcrawling in 4x4 roads. Let's just say my dad with his little 230F kicked my butt! While i just bounced over everthing, the suspension on the 230 soaked it up wonderfully. Also, my first gear was not low enough so crawl. However, there were a few spots were i was able to get on it, and left him in the dust! :banghead:

What did you expect taking a motocross suspension in a rock garden:bonk: did you soften everything up....I mean all the way up both front, back, rebound, and compression?

Get they are if you plan to race anything.....the extra 40lbs that the X cares isn't worth the E-button on a 2 hour race. I know I have had both bikes....IMO

Get they are if you plan to race anything.....the extra 40lbs that the X cares isn't worth the E-button on a 2 hour race. I know I have had both bikes....IMO

Let's not get crazy. It's more like 25lbs.

It's about 20 pounds difference... 6.6 of that is the extra weight just from the 18" rear wheel... couple of pounds extra in the exhaust.... and another 4 or sp in the leccy start...

Then the heavy duty chain... prob has heavy duty front tube... headlight, tail light, indicators and wiring harness etc make up the rest.

So there's no reason they can't be the same weight if you want to set it up that way.

It's just that the R is pretty tweaked for power standard where as you gotta do some mods on the X to get the same output from it.

I am pretty sure that the cases are a bit thicker on the X, plus the tranny gears are a bit heavier, I have also been told that the X has a few heavier bearings in the motor. Some seals are a bit tighter (causes more stiction, but keeps dirt and water out).

Rick Ramsy did a few very in depth comparisons between these bikes a few years back, there were quite a few differences.

I have owned and raced both offroad. I personally feel that each one will make a good offroader, I prefer to start with the X model, (I like light capable bikes for 24 hour races). It takes a little know how and money, but you can get what you need outta that bike. I like R model fuel tanks and plastic on the X with a 280 kit. It seems to do what I want as good or better then the R model with revalve suspension and a few other goodies.

I will say that either bike can be modded to cross over into the others speciality reasonably well, but the easier courses favour the (modded for offroad) R model, the tougher courses favour the (modded for racing) X model. I live in an area that is notorious for slow tight and technical races, X models are pretty popular here

Let's not get crazy. It's more like 25lbs.

Ok, your right it is 26 lbs according to Honda:p But it seems like 40 lbs after a 3 hour GNCC Race....lol

I cant imagine why anyone would want that extra weight racing Enduro/HS/GNCC unless you were 200+ pound rider. It is like strapping a 20 lb bag of Salt on to your bike.:banghead: I know I have road an "X" for a year in the GNCC and H/S....it is a tank.....IMO. But I loved the E-Button:applause: