radiator braces/guards???

The new yz450f's have thin radiatiors that twist and bend easily and are expensive to replace. I was going to buy some radiator guards but didn't know which one would be the best. I was looking to get some advice from those who have them on their bikes. Could you include a link to where I can purchase them also? THANKS.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day after I bought my bike I discovered the shipper/dealer had dropped the bike on something and did this.

P1010030.jpg

I went straight back and said :banghead: I had a new radiator in a week. After that I decided I should get some protection if they're that flimsy so I got the Works Connection radiator cages. I swear, the package seamed like it weighed a pound or two prior to installing, everything is aluminum but still I thought it was a lot. Kind of a hassle to install but once they're on they are rock solid. They're still straight as an arrow but I've only dropped my bike once or twice.

P1010016.jpg

The day after I bought my bike I discovered the shipper/dealer had dropped the bike on something and did this.

P1010030.jpg

I went straight back and said :banghead: I had a new radiator in a week. After that I decided I should get some protection if they're that flimsy so I got the Works Connection radiator cages. I swear, the package seamed like it weighed a pound or two prior to installing, everything is aluminum but still I thought it was a lot. Kind of a hassle to install but once they're on they are rock solid. They're still straight as an arrow but I've only dropped my bike once or twice.

P1010016.jpg

+2 on the works connection cages. By far the best built. They have saved me at least a few sets of radiators. The quality is excellent and a very clean/durable set-up.

I have the WC cages on my 08 they are a pain and you have to cut some plastic but they are awesome. I just zip tie my bottom shroud hole because its a pain in the ass to get the bolt to line up.

Johhnyofast, how are you liking the 08 compared to your 06 450?

I never had an '06, had an '03 that I loved but was too big and boxy, mines an '07.

I've had a hell of a time adjusting to this bike because of the light front end wieght bias, I'm very curious to see what MXA next issue talks about Lightspeed engineering moving the motor in the frame forward that they alluded to in their last weekly REM report. I've always felt that was part of the problem, the front end just doesn't have any bite and is too lite, more weight forward would help. (IMO)...

Other than that, I love the bike. I almost switched to Honda this year but reading their forum scared me away. :banghead:

I thought maybe you had picked up an 08 since you were discussing getting the 08 frame.Yes it will be interesting to see what they have to say about lightspeeds project. Back in 05 the hot thing on the factory 450 was that the engine was tilted forward which made it a little bit of a suprise when the 06 was more straight up and down than the stock 05. Yeah, they do have alot of posts about valves in the honda forum.

I have the WC cages on my 08 they are a pain and you have to cut some plastic but they are awesome. I just zip tie my bottom shroud hole because its a pain in the ass to get the bolt to line up.

They line up better if you trim the plastic. You need to take the little nubs off the inside of the shroud...then with the aluminum spacer and longer bolt they give you for that lower mount, the bolt goes in pretty easy.

Yeah, they do have alot of posts about valves in the honda forum.

Having owned both I wouldn't say the honda 450 has valve issues, not that I experienced but I only keep my bikes 2 seasons generally. I'll tell you the honda motor pulls way harder than the Yamaha but the Yamaha is more linear as they say. When I first went from my 05 crf450 to the 07 yzf 450 I liked how lite the yzf felt but the front end wouldn't stay put. I blamed it on the tire which was part of it, then suspension and wrong offset but after hearing so many others compain about it I guess it wasn't just me. For 08 I've gone with ktm and for cornering there's no comparison. Power comes on just as smooth as the Yamaha and is way more powerful than even the Honda. I ride the 505 so of course it's strong but my buddies 450 pulls just as hard as the crf's and seems to pull longer, he beat lots of guys on crf's at the dunes in September and he's not lite, 200lbs probably. Anyway still love the Yamaha but wanted to try something else with more power and a more grounded front end. Already had several hondas so went orange. Front susp is great, rear needs to be set up for me still. I know everyones says no rear linkage sucks but it's really not bad even stock, only notice it kicking around a bit with lots of small chop and bumps in a row. Have been told that once set up right it's as good as any jap susp. (actually mx tech said better but I don't want bad gas saying that in a Yamaha forum). So sending it all away this month to get the overhaul. So far love everything about the rest of the bike. If you've never rode the new 08 450 or 505 you would love the motor, especially comming off yz's. Comming off crf's they take a bit more getting used to but very similar delivery and riding feel to the yzf IMO. Something to consider, I think there will be more and more orange out there each year, I'm seeing it locally. Happy new year.:banghead:

I thought maybe you had picked up an 08 since you were discussing getting the 08 frame.Yes it will be interesting to see what they have to say about lightspeeds project. Back in 05 the hot thing on the factory 450 was that the engine was tilted forward which made it a little bit of a suprise when the 06 was more straight up and down than the stock 05. Yeah, they do have alot of posts about valves in the honda forum.

No, but my buddy sounds like he's gonna get an '08 so I can't wait to see how different it feels. I remember when the '06 first came out and MXA gave all that lip service about center of gravity and how they moved the motor to acheive a more centralized mass, well they did, but it left the front end too light (standard disclaimer ~ IMO).

Oh and it wasn't the valves that scared me on the honda, it almost sounds like they got that fixed in '07. A dude had an '08 with 16 hours on it and it lost 3rd gear and he wasnt' getting any help form the factory. Jeff ward blew 3rd gear on his SM bike and I've heard a lot of earlier CRF's loosing 3rd gear, that was it for me, you can corner bad all day long but I can't afford to have an unreliable bike or one that is expensive to maintain.

Back to the cages, unibiker looks solid but it also looks like it cuts air flow.