Is Loctite 271 the same as 270?

Hi, Changing my gearing and thought I would follow the advice to Loctite the C/S sprocket on to my '07 DRZ-S.

I've tried to get Loctite 271 here in the UK and all the Heinkel/ Loctite dealers only seem to stock Loctite 270 which comes in a red bottle.

Is this the same as, or a new number for 271, and is the actual product red or just the bottle?

Because of the holiday my local supplier can't check for me with Loctite but he has 270 in stock so I could get the job done without waiting if it's the same.

Thanks.

without the risk of sounding like a smart arse, if 270 was the same as 271 then it would be bottled as 271!

Use 638, which is available here in the UK

There's a chap on ebay.co.uk selling 50ml bottles for 9.99 - Bargain!

You'll need a three legged puller (from Machine Mart) to get it off, but this stuff does work

or there's some 271 here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Loctite-271-Stud-N-Bearing-Fit-British-Bike-Owner_W0QQitemZ180201570374

Thanks for the advice guys. Have now had a call back from my local distributer who says he can only get a 45ml bottle for £12 + vat. Apparently not in the Loctite UK catalogue (!) but they hold it in stock at their warehouse and available in 2-3 days.

The guy on ebay seems fine but will 3ml be enough for one application?

Also does it keep if you securely seal the bottle? If it does, as it will presumably need redoing each time I replace the sprocket, the bigger bottle locally seems good value.

Thanks.

As Neil said. Gap filling is the issue. Hi strength is prefered. A little goes a long way. It last practically forever (if not contaminated with metallic ions). It needs air in the bottle to stay liquid. 638 is a good alternate if not actually prefered over 271.

Here in 'Merica, I use Loctite 680. (Similar to 638, applies to similar tolerances/gaps.)

My experience with CS system failure on my DR-Z came about when it puked most of its oil on the interstate at full throttle, while only a few yards in front of an 18 wheeler. When I noticed the problem I almost crashed on the exit ramp, because the rear tire was completely basted with Rotella.

After that, I got the 680. I figured "better safe, than sorry."

Happy New Year!

Time to shoot off the artillery.

:banghead: