Any "tips" on cleaning stock air filter?

I just did the airbox mod and after a dusty ride this past weekend it looks like I would be better off replacing the filter instead of trying to clean it ? I have the stock filter right now, but I also have a couple of CRD air filters. I really don't know which to use or what to clean with or what kind of oil works best. Please help out if ya can. Thx

I just used dishwashing soap and hot water to clean, standard air filter oil after that. Don't expect the stock filter to look like new after cleaning, it won't. But it'll still work.

To oil it, pour the fresh oil in a plastic bag, drop the filter in, squish it around to get it full of oil. Then put it in a clean bag, squeeze out the oil as best you can. After that I usually wrap a rag around it and give it another squeeze or two, to get more oil out.

Careful with No Toil oil - I've heard it disintegrates the glue on many filters, except the No Toil ones.

Hope that helps.

I am not recommending my routine - just telling you what I do and have done for about 20 years. I wash the filter about 3 times in gasoline, wearing rubber gloves, the heavy type, and then let the filter dry overnight. The next day I oil the filter with 80W90 gear oil, squeezing, not ringing, out the excess. Don't twist it, you will tear it. Then install and wipe off your gloves. As I stated, I have been doing this for about 20 years, and have never owned more than 1 filter per bike. It works, it's cheap, and it's effective.

I also use gasoline. Fill a 4 litre (gallon) plastic ice cream pail half full. Submerge & wring out the filter a couple of times. Use an air gun to blow dry. I use filter oil instead of regular oil. Some people grease or vasiline the end of the filter to help it seal against the air box. I'm too lazy, but would do this if I was riding in a lot of sand.

BTW - The gas used to clean the filter is re-useable. The dirt settles in the bottom.

I use gasoline to get the oil out. I try not to smoke when I do this. ? I then soak in hot soapy water and then just hot water. After it's dry I use motorcycle air filter oil and wring the oil out and let it dry. Motorcycle A/F oil has solvent in it and it needs to dry.

I have 2 or 3 air filters so I do them at the same time. There is no need to throw away an air filter unless it's ripped.

I'm a NoToil convert as well. It's so nice to be able to clean your filter in the kitchen sink (without absolutely destroying the sink!) I have two filters so that I can change often in dusty condidtions or multiple-day rides.

Before that, I used the purple Castrol degreaser/cleaner with hot water then diswashing liquid again with hot water. To dry I put between layers of an old towel and stand on it then let it finish air drying overnight so it'd be ready for filter oil the next day.

Well, there are many ways to clean the filter. With the air box mod there usually is a lot of dust in there. Before installing the cleaned air filter, I take a rag that has a little oil on it and give the box a good swipe. Just in case you wanted to know. ?

Remove your filter and stuff the hole with a rag "Before" you start cutting the plastic to peform the Airbox 3x3 mod. I now have tiny bits of plastic stuck within my filter element. Eventually I'm going to have to buy an aftermarket element now since I worry about a piece of plastic sucking into the engine.

Been cleaning air filters with Kerosene since 62 can't see any reason to stop now. The sun does a remarkable job drying it out after a good healthy squeezing. Spray it with Belray foam filter goop and put a ring of grease around the the area it goes I like to get a seal with it a rag with some kerosene cleans the whole airbox in under a minute.

I know it's a bit old fashioned but it's never let me down yet, George ?:D :D

I just soak it in gas and squeeze/work out the old oil and dirt. Then some spray on filter oil (can't remember brand! damit!) and a little bit of grease on the base.

I also use the feet part of old panty hose, it make for a great and cheap pre-filter. Now I just pull it off when it gets dirty and the filter is fresh 'n clean! ?

I also use /reuse kerosine,

purchased 3 gallons a long time ago, and it still sits in a 5 gallon bucket with a tigh lid on it.

I have 2 filters, when the first when it get dirty old one comes out , fresh goes in , once the second get dirty, then it is time for cleaning,

always clean the 2 at the same time

dunk it in the 5 gallon (homedepot) bucket, massage the dirt/oil out of it ( try not to push it down to the bottom when the junk settles.)

Kerosine does an exellent job cleaning.

squeeze kero out, if i fill like it, some times I put water/dishwaser liquid in an other bucket and rinse the Kero out, let it air dry,

or if in the hurry I use compresssed air to dry the filter.

Oil both filters using an old spary gun I found discarded (in the garbage)by an auto paint shop.

As far as oil goes, i use chainsaw chain lube ( very sticky) also left over stuff ( a $5 /gallon chainsaw lube goes a long way.)

once both filters are done , on goes to a ziplock bag the other in to the bike.

the filters will get as clean as new.

works great , and i like it.