Race Sag Brain F@#*t ? ? ?

Hey all....

back from Army Field stuff....

forks back from LT Racing...cant wait...

and new spring for the rear shock...

What is the sag for the E?...

I know what the manual says, but I remember some smart folks with the Ohlins on this thread recommending a different value....

Thanx....weather is supposed to be great this weekend!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

Barco Lounger in the trees!!!

HR

🙂

HR,

95 to 100mm. Any more than that and the steering suffers. Then check static and you should be around 25 - 35mm. PDS is a bit of a PIA, as its more sensitive than a linkage system. If your shock spring is now correct, and forks valved properly, the shock compression damping may now feel stiffer because your not working it as hard. Also, I bet you notice the bike steers better. Good Luck, and don't hesitate to call Les, his customer service is among the best.

HR,

I would start with the max sag of 4" or 100mm. When I went to the 4.9 springs I had to raise the forks 5 mm (first notch) in the triple clamps to compensate for understeer. You could also compensate for understeer by reducing your sag on the rear shock but I would not recomend that for tail riding.

Good luck, looking forward to your ride report.

Ron

How about front fork sag?

I called Cannondale expecting to get the standard 4" in the rear, 2" in the front. The tech guy told me 4" front and rear.

"That can't be right..." I said. He offered to check and call back. When he did, he said that 3" was correct. I've stuck with my standard 2" to 2.5" setting on the two I've done so far with good results.

Also, FWIW, the static sag in very important in the rear on a KTM PDS system, I would assume it is on the 'Dale too.

Bruce,

I set front static to 40mm with .42 kg/mm springs and a little more preload(I'm 175lb). The stiction makes this a tough measurement, you have to compress and release, and then extend and release, and take the average. This, along with a 95Nm rear spring(100mm race sag/35mm static), properly balanced the bike. I then made some compression stack changes and had LTR revalve the shock. The bike is much better now, but not quite plush enough in the rocks as I would like. I attribute this to a overly stiff midvalve in the fork, which I will modify ASAP. I could also drop the spring in the rear one more size to a 90Nm and be at the soft end of static(around 25mm) for better optimization in rocky terrain. Unless your real big and/or slam whoops and jumps all day, your missing out running the stock setup. All the Ohlins gives you is good componentry, the springs/valving are way off for an average size trail rider. Note that the new X440 has a 95Nm spring stock, I suspect the valving is softer as well. PDS is tough to set up, its just not as versatile. I've had a couple PDS KTMs, and the idea seems to be to get the rear just stiff enough to steer good, any more and it feels harsh. The 'Dale seems no different. Keep in mind I like my bikes on the plush side because I ride/race in stuff thats more like hiking trails in spots. I also like the fork to settle more for quick steering.

I hear ya! I like my stuff cushy too. Which is a challenge 'cause I'm a big guy (6' - 240lbs).

We've got a suspension guy in our area that is very good, and has had a lot of wondrful success with KTM PDS systems. He's anxious to get a look at theses Ohlins units as he has never worked on any, except for the older KTM units.

But I definately agree with you. Focused suspension is critical for any rider, at any level, with any brand of suspension.

Bruce,

I'm sure the stock stuff felt better to you than me then!

Les at LTR did my Ohlins PDS, and claims it is a superior design to the WP. It uses a secondary bore that the second piston(smaller) engages at the end of the stroke, rather than a needle valve in the end of the shaft. This allows direct flow through the primary piston, unlike the WP where it must flow through the shaft and hole between the pistons. They also use the same standard size shims as the other Ohlins.