What's typical preferred handlebar height/position

Wrecked the other day and had to put my stock bars on and align the forks. I left off my BD 1" handlebar risers and Renthal Ricky Carmichael Bars to verify everthing else is straight. Boy what an awful difference, can't stand riding the bike with the stock setup.

I'm 5'10" C class riderand am wondering if I'm riding with the bars too high. I do stand alot and love the technical stuff, but am thinking I should learn to ride with lower bars. When I ride anyone elses bike I feel like I'm gonna get thrown over the bars if I go off balance. I figure the RC bars added almost 100mm plus the 1" up and forward with the BD bar risers is drastically moving the bars up and forward compared to the stock setup. When anyone rides my bike they love the ergo's so maybe it's best to not worry about it.

I need to replace my bars and am curious if I should try something like the Jimmy Button bend which is even higher, and maybe try to avoid using the BD risers to save a little weight. Other thing I noticed is that I have A LOT more headshake with the stock setup, of course I don't have my cyra bark-busters on either. I swear between those two items it really mellowed out the headshake. Wish the front didn't deflect, (reason for crash), as I don't need the dampner for headshake, just deflection. The RC renthal bars aren't really any taller than stock. A lot of folks like the CR High bends, but looking at the specs they are hardly different. Curious if everyone has their bars forward and up for someone my size.

ViperSX

01 400e Factory Connection suspension, FMF Q4 silenser, Devol Rad Guards, Cyra Bark-busters, BD skid &Bar-risers.

I run my bars pretty darn high and forward but that is because I am 6'5. Although when I let the little people try out my bike they love the ergos- they say it helps for standing.

In reality bar placement is completly personal pref. If you feel like you ride better with them higher then by all means raise-em up!

For the record I run the 1.5" x 1.5" thumper bar risers and the pro-taper Pastrana (sp?) freestyle bend. To my knowledge they are the tallest bends made with the least pullback.

I am a pretty tall rider - 6'6".... I rode with the stock setup for about 500 miles before I couldn't take it no more. I ordered the Thumper Racing bar risers (1.5" forward and 1.5" up). I also ordered the Renthal XR Desert bars. They claim to be about an inch taller than the CR Hi-bend. I ordered it all from Baja Designs for a total cost around $160.00 - I haven't looked back since. I occasionally get on a friends bike and can't believe I used to ride like that. BTW: they all say my bike feels like it has ape hangers.... I love 'em...

I'm also 5-10, I'm fine with the stock height, although perhaps I'd like them more forward for more room to work when standing for steep climbs. But not a big enough concern that I made any effort to change it yet. My bars got so bent that I just ordered new ones, but I just ordered stock.

I just ride the darn thing, I don't futz around with it much.

-Vince

I'm 6'0" and also hated the stock setup. I installed a set of answer mini bars. Didn't have to cut 'em. Just slapped them on and ready to go. And only $20 bucks besides. The rise is about 1.5 inches over stock, but they are not as straight as I would like.