Sacrifice protection for comfort?

As time has gone on and my riding career advanced, I've found myself shedding pieces of protective gear that I once thought essential. I seem to have a problem with becoming overheated when encased in layers of body armor while riding. I quickly find myself on the edge of vomiting and have to pull over and cool off for awhile. I cannot wear my Alpinestars pressure suit because it is too dang hot. Before I got my Leatt brace, I had to ditch my neck roll because it did not allow enough air flow to my neck. My kidney belt got binned as well. I have recently been contemplating discarding my chest protector as well. My standard kit would then include my helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, gloves, Leatt brace, knee guards, and boots. I realize the additional risk of going without, but it would allow me to be more comfortable and focused. Does anybody here ride without a chest protector? Do you think it's worth the risk? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

How well are you hydrating? Could you improve a little in that department? Most people only think they have enough fluid intake for extreme exertion.

Also, could you double down on your physical fitness? (more cardio stuff?)

Just ideas. :banghead:

I agree, I would work on cardio and hydration. You've been around long enough to know eventually your gonna hit the ground no matter what level you ride at. It's not worth the risk.

I still wear evs armour under my three quarter length jacket, but I did take out all the pads built into the jacket...the evs has the kidney belt, which for me, is nice...I also wear knee pads, and ankle and knee wraps, as well as ms atv motorcross boots with the work sole pattern. Sometimes I overheat, but have been impressed with the venting with the jacket...in hot CA summer, I ride with a motorcross shirt and the evs on the outside for dirt dualsporting, but same thick pants, knee pads, and boots...I definitely could improve hydration and preriding cardio, as I am a heavy guy (Lil John) 260 at 6'3"...

ps: I also wear a balaklava most of the time too!!! except for extreme summer temps...also, I have laid/fallen enough to bounce of rocks on jeep trails...

I do not always wear a chest protector. The one good crash I had last year, I hurt my shoulder, the chest protector did not help any. Because of that crash however, I am planning on getting a "short sleeved" 661 suit this year. Hopefully it will not be too warm to wear.

The only form of protection I have deliberatly stoped wearing is my elbow pads. They bunch up at the joint and are not very comfortable, and my arms get rather hot with them on. Sometimes I don't wear my kidney belt, but that is just because I get all suited up then see it lying in the bottom of my gear tub and don't feel like taking it all off just to put that on.

I always wear my chest protector and CTI wrist brace. The brace does get warm, but I just roll my sleeve up in those cases. I don't have knee braces or a neck brace yet, but am looking into a neck brace as a future purchase.

I went with the Thor Knee braces. The first time I put them on I could not even swing my leg over my bike and decided that not being able to even flex my leg was a lot more dangerous than riding with no pads. I would like to try a simple knee pad though as long as it is going to fit under my pants.

How do all you racers wear those big braces under the tapered race pants? I wear those pants as apposed to the open legs because the open leg just doesn't seem safe to me, but can't imagine fitting a knee pad or brace under them and still being nimble.

I'm with JaredMackall. I wear a helmet, gloves, and some kind of boot along with long sleeves and pants(not always racing gear). If I'm uncomfortable I can't ride good. I never have understood how people race or even ride in more padding that Pro football plays use.