Engine noise

I just bought a 2003 CRF...I have changed the oil/filter and tranny every ride (three so far) Are these engines kind of noisey? I haven't noticed the noise the first two rides ,but, yesterday it seemed kinda noisey...maybe I was so excited just to ride it I didn't notice the noises before. It sounds like it is coming from the top end...maybe just the timing chain and cam...I can't remember if my WR 400 did the same thing. The power seems right on and it starts first kick. Maybe because it is new? I broke it in properly too. I am running the correct amount of oil also.

Mine wasn't particularly noisy. You may want to check the valve clearances and the timing chain tensioner. Just be safe and do this before you possibly end up with catastrophic engine damage. My 03 hasn't had any trouble since I bought it. Don't let this deter you from them either. I still think it is one of the best motorcycles you can buy today. Don't be afraid to make the dealer you bought it from, if this is the case, look into it with only 3 rides. I hope this helps some, and keep the wheel pointed in the right direction.

I have an '03 as well does my riding buddy, They do transmit more mechanical engine noise than any other bike I've ever had. Unless it is a distinct KNOCK , or just too scary sounding, I would chalk it up to thinner cases. Less material = less weight, but also= more noise.

The CRF450 has a lot of engine noise with thin casings and the "ring holder" piston. Takes a little to get used to but is completely normal and OK for such an engine. With the loud exhaust note you can't hear the engine noise when your going good 🙂.