Yz450f Trans

i have a 98 yz450f that was popping out of 4th gear i replaced 3rd and 4th gear and both shift forks, crank etc while case was split. i have a manual and assembled as noted. after the case is back together i can only get 1st gear but it will not shift up into 2nd feels like nothing is there. should i be able to shift it through the gears??? i know on my honda's i can shift them when just the lower end is together. i have taken it apart 3-4 times doubled check all gears and forks, what am i doing wrong:bonk: . i dont want to put it all back together installed in the bike to find it wont shift.

i have a 98 yz450f that was popping out of 4th gear i replaced 3rd and 4th gear and both shift forks, crank etc while case was split. i have a manual and assembled as noted. after the case is back together i can only get 1st gear but it will not shift up into 2nd feels like nothing is there. should i be able to shift it through the gears??? i know on my honda's i can shift them when just the lower end is together. i have taken it apart 3-4 times doubled check all gears and forks, what am i doing wrong:bonk: . i dont want to put it all back together installed in the bike to find it wont shift.

You need to spin the countershaft or the main shaft while working the shift lever to be able to tell if your getting all the gears.

By the way, your bike is yz400f. First YZ450F was released in 2003.

If you mean that the shifter doesn't feel as if it is moving anything, then your problem is with the asembly of the ratchet segments on the outer end of the shift cam.

Don't put it back together if you cant shift through all the gears with the tranny resting in the case half while rotating the countershaft. I once was sure I had my son's 85 right and had to take it back apart after the engine was in the bike and ready to start, so I thought :banghead: