help with zb 50

i just hooked up with a zb50 and i am going to make a motard type bike out of it. i pretty much have a handle on all i need except two things.

first

what are my options for hooking up with a 4 speed manual transmission? i am trying to be cost sensitive here so buying a new motor is probably not in the cards, but don't some old passport motors have a 4 speed, or maybe some of the 3 wheelers?

second

this thing is going to need stiffer springs i know you can get them for z50s but this bike looks like it has different forks, maybe they are the same as a ct70?

so any help finding stiffer fork springs and a shock spring is appreciated.

thanks

Hey man great bike.. you gonna have a heap of fun on it. There are a few options on the 4 speed manual for sure... ct70, cl 70, sl70 And a few more. The springs I am not sure but i bet we have something for it... Where are you located anyway? call us @ 1-530-268-7368 Hope we can help you get all dialed in!!

i am in atlanta, ga.

when i get around to it i am going to remove the springs and take them down to a friend who has a spring tester, i will get all the specs and then we'll see if you can help me.

thanks for the tips on the transmissions, how much can i expect to pay?

i found one company(oldhonda.com) that's got new 110 engines with roller cam and 4 speed tranny for 8 hundy but that's over twice what i paid for the bike and i don't really want to spend anywhere near that

Hit up your local salvage yard and see if you can find the motor or bike with motor laying around.You might be able to get a deal on it. Do remember that some of these tranny kits may not work with your bike without ZB specific applications. Even though the cases and most parts are the same your crank and counter shaft are definetly diffrent. When you buy parts for your motor always be specific about your motor. Year and make of the bike it came out of.

Later Atom RoTTeN

Bll just give us a call and we will see if we can lead you down a nice affordable road to update and modify that thing for you!!

530-268-7368

like ATOM said make a trip to your cycle salvage yard, you can use the springs out of an 82 250r threewheeler, the spring diameter is the same and they are much stiffer and about 5 inches longer, so you can just cut them down to the same length as the stockers and run an 20w oil. this will be as stiff as you'll need for street , I run a similar set up on my zb and I race it in the dirt. if you have any other questions or need any parts please contact me, corrieang@aol.com