Revloc Competition

The EFM in my bike has some good rides on her and so far not even a blink.

Not sure on the EFM for KTM but on the C'Dale the install was just a simple pressure plate swap and done.

With the Rev-Loc you have to mod the basket or get theirs with a core charge...

They are very very sweeeet and the nastier it gets the more you smile!

Choices are good!

HR

๐Ÿ™‚

My EFM has withstood everything that I have thrown at it. My bike was used for the CRF prototype, so I was encouraged to hammer it to find any bugs. After approx. 30 hrs of testing, the EFM shows NO signs of wear. The only thing that will wear is your clutch plates, depending on your style of riding, but that is also the case with any clutch. So far, I'm extremely pleased with the clutch.

JR

Sounds like a good deal. You know the problems that Rev-Lock has had with the things burning out on these high rev bikes. They have also said that they, Rev-Lock's were not ment for real really hard riding? What's the point of riding with one. You want one when it gets hard, thats the whole point, to save you in the tight spots. So the million dollar question is how hard can you ride these things. Really. In tight woods can you still whack the gas and let her rip? When you need to feather the clutch I guess you can but do you ever really need to with the auto clutch. Anyway looks like a cool deal better than the Rev-lock? We'll see. Hope so.

Revlocs not ment for hard riding? News to me and the others that use them on the FTR harescramble and enduro circuit. Have over a hundred hours of abuse on mine and its still going strong. See the same results from the other guys. The only real problems that I have heard about, never witnessed, is that if you treat it like a single speed and run way too high a gear in the tight stuff that you will speed the demise of your friction plates.

All kinds of rumors floating around the web about major failures. Has anyone ever seen one break a basket or inner hub or failed in some major way? Not saying it hasn't happened, but curious to hear what caused it to fail. Looking at how they are built it is hard to imagine what would fail.

Great there is competition though, always healthy.

"Do you ride hard" was the question I was asked when I called Rev-Lock for information in their product. From what they said it was more for trial riding use than on the track. Just the feeling that I got from talking to Rev-Lock. Maybe it's just me?

They did have some problems at one point with the original KTM design. For a while, they were only selling that model to trail riders. They came out with a new one but still give you the option to buy the $1000 original design or spend more for the fixed version. I'm no sure how much more but I just found it hard to believe they still offered the product that they know has some problems after they had a better design.

I've ridden with the revloc and it just doesn't blow my skirt up. I'd rather do the clutching myself, thank you very much. To each their own, though.

Jeb,

The update was for 00 and 01 KTM's. They found the inner hub design wasn't optimal for use with the auto clutch. The hub tended to get groves and hang up the plates making for non-optimal clutch action. The update consists of going to the KTM 02 hub and a 02 thrust bearing and bearing races. Not a problem with the Revloc parts failing, but with the 00 and 01 KTM parts holding up. KTM must have recognized the problem too since they updated the clutch in 02.

I did update mine to 02 specs recently, but on inspection my 01 parts were perfectly fine. The engagement and overall action of the clutch with the 02 parts is smoother and the parts look better designed.

BTW, the 02 inner hub design is really cool from an engineering stand point. They have incorporated a set of 21 drive sleeves which the friction plates and steel plates ride on. Pretty ingenious and looks very durable. Those Austrians are a pretty sharp bunch.

Taffy:

the nastier it gets the better the Auto clutch is...level pull is zero now, but the clutch lever still functions if you want to pull it, but there is no need.

I did some log crawling this past week and it was rather nice to just aim the bike and twist the throttle, the bike just motored along.

HR

๐Ÿ™‚

Well, someone up there wants to keep me humble. Right after going on about the reliability of my Revloc and how there have been no problems, problems occur.

The problem is pieces of a transmission circlip and lots of metal shavings showing up in the oil pan. Result is a complete engine tear down scheduled for next week. Now did the Revloc cause this transmission problem?? Or is it from all the clutchless shifting and jaming of gears(a byproduct of the Revoloc)? This bike is on its third racing season and has seen a lot of hard miles, so would it have happened anyway?

A Revloc rep did tell me that there are some changes being worked out which can be done to any Revloc clutch which will make it engage smoother and will allow for normal clutch use at higher revs on KTMs. I am definitely going to do the change, which involves removing some ball bearings and half the bolts and springs on the Revloc plate. This wasn't acknowledged as a fix for a problem, but???

Overall, I think the bottom line with any of these autoclutches is they are an aftermarket addition to a very lightweight high performance engine which has very low tolerances in the name of weight savings. I really like riding and especially racing with the auto clutch, but after this tear down it is potentially a 2000 dollar addition to an already expensive bike. Worth it????, I am really beginning to wonder. ๐Ÿ™‚ If I have to repair the transmission again anytime soon the answer will be obvious and their best use is just trail riding.

A couple of additional bits of information on my transmission problem.

One, my chain broke last weekend near the end of an enduro. It looked like the master link exploded and four rollers were missing from links around the masterlink. Clip was definitely in before the race, but I am assuming it came off and caused the break. So, did that cause the transmission damage? Anyone ever suffer transmission damage from a chain breaking? BTW, the EE slave cylinder guard worked as advertised. Looks like it took quite a blow too.

Second, I received an email from a very reliable source who passed along an email from someone who is connected with KTM stating that Revlocs are breaking KTM transmissions. So, there it is. Could have been totally unrelated to clutch and caused by chain breaking, wear, shocks from the many hard wrecks and bad riding this bike has endured ๐Ÿ™‚, my bad karma or the Revloc.

Drawing solid conclusions from one data point is far from scientific. It fact it is "marketing." Don't know why KTM would want to slam the Revloc, but I agree with previous post that suggests that it could be totally unrelated to the failure.

RH