TTR125 Rocker arm removal

Hi,

I need to remove the rocker arms on my XT125R (a UK model which has the same engine as a ttr125). To do this I need to remove the rocker arm shafts according to the manual there is a Yamaha slide hammer with part numbers YU-1083-A (weight 90890-01084 and bolt 90890-01085) .

What I am hoping somekind soul can help me with is what is the thread on the slide hammer bolt? It is not quite a metric M6, socan anyone help??

Many thanks in advance

Dan (UK)

what i did is the long bolts that hold down the cylinder head and the cylinder to the bottom end thread right into them, i put a BMX peg over the bolt and used that as a slide, or lightly tapped it with a ball peen hammer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, that was very speedy.

However I think i now know why the TTr manual lists two different slide hammer tools.

The thread on my rocker arm shafts is definitely not an M8 (I wish it were - 10 mins job done! bob's your uncle Fanny's your aunt as we say in UK).

The Cam shaft takes an M8 to pull it out, but the rocker pins are a not quite M6.

Thanks anyway guys, looks like a trip to my Yam main dealer to ask if they will be kind and pull them for me (head gasket, exhaust gasket and 2 valve stem seals cost £17.50 ($30+) so how much will this cost???

Talk to you all later, happy TTing

On 1/9/2008 at 4:54 PM, yzracerxx said:

what i did is the long bolts that hold down the cylinder head and the cylinder to the bottom end thread right into them, i put a BMX peg over the bolt and used that as a slide, or lightly tapped it with a ball peen hammer.

Nice...I figured out that the thread was the same for that longer bolt but I was using a small deep well socket...not enough weight. But I have some BMX pegs handy so i am going to go give it a go. :cheers:

Skin

So the rocker shaft on the intake side seamed to be seized in the head...it was a mothereffer to get out and required the heat gun. The exhaust side seemed to come out much easier. On a side note, the intake valve was bent so that may be some of the issue that lead us to here. Thanks for the tip on the BMX peg 

Skin