Need cylinder and head work on 650, recommendations for a good shop

Hi,

Just spent 11 days in deep dunes in Libya, had a bad aircover/side panel seal, need some cylinder and head work. I wont let anyone here touch it and am looking for recommendations for a shop in the US I can send the head, cylinder and cam to for service. I used to user XRs Only in the past but....

any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve.

Picture of the big dunes, wicked stuff!!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/steveegge/Libya

If you had sand and dust get into the engine lapping valves is not a fix.

How bad was the damage to your engine? I live right by XRs but havent used them, pretty mixed reviews with them about half good and half not as happy with service time. May wanna try to find out how long the wait is or expected time for repairs. If you cant call from over there lemme know what your gonna need done and ill call them since its same town.

pics look like fun, reminds me of getting lost in Glamis LOL

Damage was bad. Went through a liter of oil every 250 miles. Bad top end noise in low rpms, decompressor and reverse decompressor on cam had lots of lateral play. Had great experience with XRs 12 years ago, last year very bad. Wrote to them about the probelm 5 days ago and never hear back.

As far as I can tell the problem at XR's only is too much business. It seems like they just don't want to grow the business. Perhaps it is fear of growing or just lack of business knowledge. They do good machine work. I have been pleased at the quality of the work. It just takes them forever.

There are a few European members here. There must be a good shop somewhere in Europe. If they do not answer in this thread start a new one titled "Good machine shop in Europe" or something like that. Maybe send a PM to user RC30. He is in Italy. That's about as close as you are going to get.

There are a few European members here. There must be a good shop somewhere in Europe. If they do not answer in this thread start a new one titled

I'm from Belgium,Europe. Plenty experience with XR's.I know a good machine shop with fair prices for a rebuild .Pm me if...:banghead: