03 400E bearing replacement QUESTION

This weekend a freind of mine and I are going to break down our wheels and have the rims and hubs powder coated black with a clear coat over that. Would you guys recommend replaceing the bearings while I have it all apart? I'ts an 03 with a pretty moderate amount of hard use and they have never been replaced. Should I also replace the swing arm bearings while I'm at it? I'm not feeling any play whatsoever in either swingarm or the wheel.

I've never had the swing arm off and greased them that way. I do give the zirk a squirt of grease every now and again.

Sundog, I need your address again. pm me with it. I still owe you for some hardware.

Will PM you the address.

If you have never done maint to your swingarm bearings or linkage you will most likely need to replace the bearings. I have seen where you ride.:banghead: There is a chance you won't but I don't play the long odds. :busted: Lets hope everything isn't rusted/frozen together.....there have been several threads about what a beotch it can be if thet are.

IMO the zirks are a waist of time. In order to get grease to the bearings you would need to fill the entire cavity to the point of pushing grease out both sides of the bike. Kind of like bearing buddies on trailer hubs. Unless you fill the entire hub it doesn't help the inner bearings one iota...

I took my swing arm apart a few days ago to inspect and grease. The bolt came out pretty easy but it was a good thing I didn't put it off any longer. The left zerk fitting was GONE. :banghead: The left bearing was packed full of dirt and when cleaned off showed some wear. Replacement bearing kit is on it's way. The lower steer bearing has a bit of rust on it so that's getting replaced also. The wheel bearings and seals looked good.

New bearings deffo!

When you powder coat the hubs you'll have to remove them anyway:excuseme:

Even if you don't, all the grease in them will most likely run out when the powder coat is baked and being sealed they'll be f*cked by then!