HotCams

I'm sure it's out there and obvious, but I couldn't find it quickly. This was easier.

I went to buy a Stage 1 Hotcam for my 05 450x from Cyclegear. All that is listed is 450R cams (the 250's are listed by "R" or "X" but not the 450's). Will the 450R Stage1 work for my "X"? Is this what people are buying.

Also, ebay has them cheaper- same thing right?

Thanks,

-Dennis

Actually my bike is an 06. Shouldn't make a difference.

-Dennis

Thanks AgentSmith. The Hotcams website has a listing of 1016-1.

Is the listing you suggest what to look for in the books Cyclegear is using?

I also didn't realize the Hotcams website has the listing, but the reference books Cyclegear uses- nothing but the "R".

Thanks

-Dennis

It is the 1016 for your bike. It makes great low end and mid range torque.

The '07 R and '08 R and X take the newer style decompressor, which is the 1076 cam for a stage one.

I was quoting the number from Crf'sOnly website. They may use their own number. As long as you order the cam for the 02-06 R you'll be fine.

Yeah, my friend learned the hard way the the 07-08 cams dont quite work too well...haha

I bought Cubera's from him for my '08. It was a few bucks cheaper, and the old "helping a brother out" karma accumulation will rocket me straight to heaven.

I'm going to go put it in. I sure hope I have the new style decompressor in my '08 X. If not, I'll put it in my son's '07 R that I mean to buy soon.

Interesting find during the installation.

The '08 X does have the new style decompressor, and the cam went in with no problem. However, the cam shoulder is too big, or the cam sprocket is too small, by a couple of thousands, and they won't attach to each other. I took the Hot Cam back out and measured the difference, and it's around 020.

So, I guess a revised cam sprocket is needed, or one off of an '07 450R.

Weird!

Why would Honda make 2 sizes of cam sprocket that were so close to each other for the R and the X? So, I'll leave it apart for the weekend and call Hot Cams up and see what they say. I hate leaving stuff apart!

Interesting find during the installation.

The '08 X does have the new style decompressor, and the cam went in with no problem. However, the cam shoulder is too big, or the cam sprocket is too small, by a couple of thousands, and they won't attach to each other. I took the Hot Cam back out and measured the difference, and it's around 020.

So, I guess a revised cam sprocket is needed, or one off of an '07 450R.

Weird!

Why would Honda make 2 sizes of cam sprocket that were so close to each other for the R and the X? So, I'll leave it apart for the weekend and call Hot Cams up and see what they say. I hate leaving stuff apart!

You will find the R and the X look alike and it almost ends there. Not many parts cross over. Its kinda sad in the way of some after market parts that haven't been made for the X yet.

A safe bet would be to check first as if its not listed to fit an X model it probably won't work

I agree. I called Hot cams and they said that the '08 X had the old style decompressor, so they weren't much help.

my friends trying to sell me his 05 450r cam its going in a 06 450x its the stock r cam but will i have to change springs and all that good stuff or is it a simple swap