OHH $hit Oil Chage...

Mines a '97 also. Mine stoped working about 800-1000 miles ago. I could pull on the wire and it would work. So I thought it was the connection. I thought wrong. It has about 14k miles. Haven't had time to look at it. I was thinking if I got a magnetic drain plug I may start it up and see if I catch it on the plug don't know if I want to split the cases........ If I have been running this long without any problems I may just try. I can't tell If I have lost a washer also till I take the side cover off and hope the other screw is still there.

Don't panic. Take the side case off and have a look. It could be that the switch is hanging from the other screw and you get off easy. If you do find that the other screw is MIA you may be able to recover it with a magnetic probe through an oil passage under the side case, into the crank case. It could also be trapped in the side case.

Things are not chewed up. I found everything I think. I found the other screw that I was missing and the pin that goes with the spring. I can't find any washers. So I am guessing there are none. I need someone to confirm this please.... This is the only thing keeping me from putting my bike back together. I ran a magnet inside and couldn't find any washers.