Sign in to follow this  

How bad is this ????????

Looks pretty normal Once or twice but keep record of how manytimes you have it....

also if you have been changing oil regualarly and never had this and now you do, You have a part failing in the engine or transmission IMO.

• Like 1

+1 Normal for the first couple oil changes but should clean up with miles. Clean the screens as well and don't be surprised to see some small flakes in them. If the bike has 500+ miles you could be having an issue. If your ride is fully broken-in I would change the oil more frequently and monitor the magnet and screens. With miles, normal oil change intervals and normal clutch usage they should be fairly clean with just a slight fuzz. Keep an eye out for bigger chunks though.

MCNut

• Like 1

It is an 06, I have ridden 1,500 + miles on it. I did go quite a long time between oil changes this time. I am usually very regular with them. This is the 1st time I have ever seen anything but sludge stuck to it. I did look at the clutch fluid and it was dirty. I have tried coming out of a couple of corners, slipping the clutch, in too high of a gear, killing the bike with a little of a screech noise that I didn't like. :banghead:

The RFS clutch tends to screech more with dirty oil. The magnet should have less and less of this as the bike ages unless something is amiss. I still see some of that on my 400 that has over 10k miles on it.

Damn, that would freak me out. Glad I saw this post.

Is this for all KTM's? Bringing a new bike home next weekend and I'm religious about changing air filter, oil. Can I expect this much stuff on the drain plug?

Your good. I would keep it in a plastic baggie and over the years see how much you get, If you care to know. I had a friend who is doing this and has got a little going.

• Like 1

Your good. I would keep it in a plastic baggie and over the years see how much you get, If you care to know. I had a friend who is doing this and has got a little going.

Not a bad idea...

Where abouts in NC are you? I moved from NC to CA in '94. I remember that red mud...wouldn't come out of anything close to white.

That looks too familiar.

PICT3560a.jpg

I almost crapped my pants! My dealer said it was normal (so did KTM Canada), but I've never had a bike that had that much metal shavings!