LC8 information wanted

o I was thinking about a DRZ/KLX400s, so I was doing research surfing the small keyed board I found the LC8. Well that looks nice, I sez to self. I am beyond trying to see much air I can get and want a bike that I can commute 40 miles one on the freeway. I want to also to be able to go down logging roads and wide trails. Looks like it might be fun to take to the dunes at least once. I was thinking about the Beemer R1150 GS Adventure. Nice but looks like something out of WWII and too heavy. So back to the LC8, I want to know how much and when? I also posted in the LC4 section but meant to put it hear.

Thanks

I think the adventure 950 is a little too large to fit down any trails that I know of and it's likely that only three men in the world have the talent to navigate one of these portly things though the dunes and think they are all from Italy 🙂 I think it weighs over 380 lbs :D Saying that I would think that the 640 adventure would fill some of your needs a little better although not a light bike, mere mortals have sucessfuly finished a Paris to Dakar race on one. The information Ive heard, is the 950 Adventure is due in spring 03 at approx 10-11k price tag. The V-Twin Duke will follow in fall (I have one on order) Just think of the 950 as a slightly lighter, faster, better looking, better handling, cheaper alternative to a BMW GS1100.

Hope that helps

I think that's the point. He's looking at the BMW anyway, so comparing the LC8 to that rather than the RFS is most appropriate. I love BMWs (cars), I own a 540i myself, but let's face it the RG & GS are absolute pigs. God forbid you would ever have to pick one up after laying it down. It seems that KTM has come up with 2 (640 and 950) perfect bikes to go against the BMW. Granted you're likely to give up some serious creature comforts for all that weight loss and extra handling prowess. Wes' point is well taken, that if you plan trails tighter than two track, you're gonna have a handfull with a relatively heavy bike and too much power for anything remotely resembling single track!

--Dave