Cracked Case

Hey guys, I have a cracked left side engine case :banghead::busted::ride: When replacing the case do I need to buy matching cases or can I just buy the left side? These parts are mass produced, so as long as I get the case for my bike year, it should be the same, right? Anyway I ride an 06 yz250 smoker. The cases new are $900-$1000, fricken bullshit! If you guys know where I can get some used cases let me know, I already checked ebay.

Thanks

MAX!!!

how did you crack your case and how bad is it ? post some pictures of it

Make sure you use Yamabond to seal the cases

are you sure it is cracked, Yamaha's have real bad castings, and sometimes this can be mistaken for cracks

Yes - they need to be matched. Can you have the old case welded? My old KX250 threw it's chain and broke/cracked the case around the clutch arm/sprocket area - had it welded - I think it was around $80 for the welding - was pretty detailed work as I recall.

Here are 2 pictures of the case w/ Yamabond on the break. It the piece was pretty flush, it has gotten worse and is now raised, I guess I need to buy some cases or get is welded.

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

MAX!!!

That would be a fairly simple weld job. You would not even need to take the motor out let alone split the cases.

I would get it done asap, before you loose the broken piece.

I'd just weld it.I have seen complete, good motors for sale for $1500+ or -.

I'd just weld it.I have seen complete, good motors for sale for $1500+ or -.

Yea, I definately don't have the money for a new engine or new cases. It seems like the concessus is to remove the cover and have it welded.

MAX!!!

Ya just have the thing welded. Its not even that important becausem, the only thing you are sealing up is to prevent dust and water from getting in.

that piece thats broken isnt going into an the crank case, it just keeps dist and water out of the stator area. DONT SPENT 1000 BUCKS ON NEW CASES!!! for that little chip.

Yea all you have to do is take off your plastic cover, Impact off your flywheel nut, I think it is reverse thread also!, Pull off your flywheel with a puller, 3 phillips heads hold on your stator, and then have hole welded, ! :applause: or put a piece of aluminum sheet jb welded over the hole,on inside, and then fill in outer area with liquid aluminum. Sand when dry and your as good as new.....voila!:cool:

How did that happen? From the chain coming off?

How did that happen? From the chain coming off?

I don't know how it happened, the chain did not come off. I have been riding w/out the case saver for about a year, some rocks must have impacted it. ???

MAX!!!

Yeah, I suppose the chain could have picked up a small stone and thrown it into the case.

I'd love to get rid of the ugly stock sprocket cover/case guard, but I want whatever protection it provides.

Yeah, I suppose the chain could have picked up a small stone and thrown it into the case.

I'd love to get rid of the ugly stock sprocket cover/case guard, but I want whatever protection it provides.

Hey 1959, I just use 3 same type screws about 5-10mm shorter and leave off my sproket cover in muddy conditions,but still have my case guard. Don't have to have cover with guard, can have guard by itself!:cool:

Hey 1959, I just use 3 same type screws about 5-10mm shorter and leave off my sproket cover in muddy conditions,but still have my case guard. Don't have to have cover with guard, can have guard by itself!:applause:

:cool: I run just the guard also. It's not like I'm gonna be sticking my fingers near there or ever riding without the proper boots.

the case is 1000? the right case for my yz 125 was 300 from yamaha

I thought yamabond was to seal the cases, not to be used like JB weld to try and glue broken pieces together, its just a gasket type sealer, not a weld or glue...?