Compression Release

I've found no use for that on either of my RFS's. AAMOF, the cable was inadvertenatly left unhooked at the cyl head after a cam bearing replacement I did. I left it that way for about 2 months and never missed it.

So is that a yes, go ahead and remove it or leave it unhooked at the head? I thought that the KTM's already had a automatic compression release? If so why would you want a manual compression release? What was that tech bulliten on the compression release about. Sorry so many questions but I'm a newbie and I'm getting ready to give my baby some love and do my first valve adjustment on her.

Think the compression release is for clearing out excess fuel vapor in the event of a fall and the engine gets flooded. Either hit the button or kick with the release engaged for 12-15 spins to clean out the cylinder. I've only had to use mine once in 1-1/2 years of riding my 520.

My main reason for wanting to get rid of the compression release is to do away with the cable and lever. The cable routing is very tight with my bars cut down and brush guards.To add to the confusion I have a computer wire, hot grips, and a route sheet when running enduro's.

Lots of stuff to chafe and cause problems!

I also had a friend catch his on a limb and rip off his clutch cap.

I just adjusted my valves this past weekend and I thought it would make things a little easier to access without the cable.

Thanks,

Has anyone seen any problems with the "stop" bolt and nut on the 02's or did KTM get that problem fixed? I know in the bulletin it says 00 and 01 but I'm just curious. Here is a stupid question:

What is the difference between a manual decompression lever and a hot start lever? Don't they kind of do the same thing?

Pumpkin Head,

A hot-start lever is like an "anti-choke". When you pull the choke out, the carb makes the fuel mixture richer. When you pull the hot-start out, the carb makes the fuel mixture leaner. This will help avoid fouling or flooding when the engine is hot.

A compression release opens a small valve or restricts the valves from closing completely so when the piston comes up, the pressure does not build (ie, no or little compression). This is useful when we have these mid-bore 4-strokes with high compression ratios.

HTH

I never use the thing for normal starting, however, I would not remove it.

I say this because first of all it really won't save you any weight and second it is useful when you flood it or for any other reasen need to spin the motor to clear out the cylinder.