Good Deal on an 06 650R???

I've been tossing the question around as to whether I wanted to go with a CRF450X or an XR650R and I think I'm going with the 650R. It just seems right. I found a new leftover 06 about 4 hrs from me for $5377 out the door. Is that a good deal? Also, if anyone knows of any good deals on new ones I'd like to hear about them. I'm tired of looking and waiting. I'm in southern Indiana would be willing to drive 6-7 hours if the price is right.

if thats truely the OTD (tax and title) and its 0 hours, I'd say thats a real good deal. I have an ad here(TT) for my like new '06, with street title, and asking $5200. firm, but I'm in so. CA. check out the add by amaltman

if thats truely the OTD (tax and title) and its 0 hours, I'd say thats a real good deal. I have an ad here(TT) for my like new '06, with street title, and asking $5200. firm, but I'm in so. CA. check out the add by amaltman

The guy in NC told me $4500 for the 06 and $4900 for the 07. They are both brand new. Those are out the door prices if paid for in cash. I wish it were a little closer to me. It would cost me at least $200 for gas to drive there to pick one up. :banghead:

Any stock 650r is going to need mods...

uncorking, footpeg fix, stabilizer, bar perch/clamps and bars<-- these are standard and you're looking at a cool grand to mod a stocker...

plus suspension... Even if you're not a great rider-the suspension mods are a must.

Unless you're 5'4", you'll need the bar perch clamps (IMO) and/or high bend bars...unless you want to slump over the bike...

Stabilizer is not really optional unless you're farting around.

Right footpeg fix is a must...

Out here in cal, I know a guy (who does stand up-on-the-seat wheelies in fourth gear down the hwy) who just sold a clean one with all these mods + $1000 worth of suspension for $3500...

we have a lot of 650's available out here but that does you no good...

I think you want a shiney new bike, so go for it...but you have to do the minimum mods unless you're a total granny.

Easy for me to say all this because I've been down only one road...and I wouldn't go back...

Buy the new one, if you must...just be sure to fix it up...the stock suspension can send you OTB like a catapult...(think Monty Pythons Holy Grail)

my 2c

sB

we have a lot of 650's available out here but that does you no good...

I think you want a shiney new bike, so go for it...but you have to do the minimum mods unless you're a total granny.

sB

Best price in Ca I have see lately is $5700 all inclusive for an '07 so I'd say you're in the ballpark in your area. I would think less demand out there would even lower it a bit more than out here. I agree completely with Scott as to the handlebar/riser mod. No way will the stock setup allow you to stand on the pegs for long before you become a hunch back. It takes very little money to get that engine breathing the way it should. Mine still has the stock suspension and stock right footpeg setup, although I loctited that thing from day 1 and keep a close eye on the mounting hardware. It can still let go so I have been crossing my fingers.

But what do I know, I ride like a total granny. Oh and stabilizers are for girls just like electric starters :banghead: .

But what do I know, I ride like a total granny. Oh and stabilizers are for girls just like electric starters :ride: .

That's funny, you must not leave 2nd gear much if you don't feel the need for a stabilizer..........:banghead: And electric start is overrated..........:busted:

I agree with OuterLimits. Your in the ball park. That is not a bad buy for a brand new one as long as there are no hidden costs. In some areas they just did not sell well and if someone has one in the warehouse they are going to give even better deals just to remove it from the inventory.

I would say it's a buyers market for the XR650R and you might get it even cheaper from your dealer if you let him know your dead serious but the price is holding you back. I suspect it will still be there tomorrow even though he tells you he has other serious lookers.

That's funny, you must not leave 2nd gear much if you don't feel the need for a stabilizer..........:cool: And electric start is overrated..........:applause:

Honestly, the 650R is the most stable bike I've ever ridden. All kidding aside, I would love a stabilizer even on that bike, but unless you are racing I don't at all believe it is a necessity. 5th gear sand washes (perhaps not entirely tapped out) are no problem on this bike without a stabilizer. On a 450X, probably a completely different story.

...but you have to do the minimum mods unless you're a total granny.

sB

:applause: ...actually, I prob will ride like a granny:ride: ...for about two minutes. It's been quite a few years since I've rode on two wheels. My last dirtbike was a CR250, but all XR's before that. I've been doing the quad thing for the past several years for the simple reason of that's what all my buddies have and it's easy to find people to ride with. I have fun, but I'm ready to get back on two wheels and I couldn't think of a better way than on a pig. I've been wanting one for a few years and hearing that there will be no 08 model was all I needed to hear to know it was time.

I'm aware of a lot of the mods, but it seems like everytime I log on TT I learn something new. This is a great site.:cool:

I've come across several used ones that looked like great buys, gut I'm the type of guy that would rather buy something bone stock and doing everything myself than buy one that someone else has already modded.

Thanks for all the input!!!

alright, i've got it narrowed down between two dealers. one has an 06 650r and is about 2 hrs away...the other has an 07 650r and is 4 1/2 hrs away. both new. the catch is...they are the same price and i can't get the guy with the 06 to go any lower. is it worth the extra 5 hrs drive time to get the 07??? as far as i know nothing changed except the "bold new graphics." any input would be appreciated. i'm tired of beating my head against the wall. :cool: i'm ready to ride. :applause:

Advise the guy with the '06 that you have the same deal on an '07 (don't tell him where it is). If he will not budge, I would tell him he just lost the sale and do the drive for the '07, especially if it's at a place where you can make a nice weekend out of it. There are no differences between the two.

The one edge of the '07 is that it is the last of the last!!!!

:cool:

i've already told the guy with the 06 about the 07 and he says he can't go any lower. it just doesn't make sense. from what i understand, honda reduces the invoice on new "leftover" bikes each year. if this is the case then he would have to be able to discount the 06 more.?.?.? maybe honda gives incentives to higher volume dealers??? :cool: I know it's the "last of the last," but i don't think the XR is dead. I don't want to change direction on the thread, but i think honda is up to something.

If you are not set on buying a new one, here are 3 that are probably within driving distance for you.

Mount Vernon is about 45 minutes from Columbus, Oh. $2500

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/544061575.html

Detroit for $2000. This has been up for sale since I believe oct or nov.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/532629390.html

And cycletrader for $2500 in Ohio. It was up on craigslist but not anymore.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2001-HONDA-XR650R-90986147

All of these seem to be pretty nice. I think there are 2 others in detroit as well. Check on craigslist and do a search on xr650r, xr, xr650, etc. One of those should show 2 more...

I would jump on one of these, but I have a couple of other things to pay for first. Good luck on your search.

PS PLEASE buy of these to at least take the temptation away. I am seriously having a hard time not going to the bank for a quick loan to buy one of these. Especially the one in detroit. He had it at least 2900 if not 3200 if I remember correctly.