Factory engine coolant?

I pulled the radiator off my bike over the weekend to send to Mylers. Whats up with that coolant! It didn't look like your everyday anti-freeze. It was this real dark green color. It was clean looking, just did'nt have that "flouresent" look it. Does Suzuki put some kind of special stuff in there? No big deal, just wonderin.

Mixing new with old shouldn't hurt anything, but it's better to drain as much of the used antifreeze as you can and replace it with new. As antifreeze ages it becomes less effective at cooling. Mix the new antifreeze half and half with water, then fill your system with it. If you have to add more in the future, use the 50:50 mix to top up. 🙂

Sittin on the bike, the right radiator is the one and only with a cap, and yes, you can take it off w/o taking the gas tank off. The resevoir at your footpeg is a overflow tank and might have a few drops in there while cold, and a little more as it gets hot and expands. If it's running hot, it will fill and maybe even spew out. Then you add more.

If you are completely changing the coolant, the left tank also has a bleed screw up top so you can let all the air out of the left side. Just crack it open a few turns or remove it and hold the bike level so the screw hole is at the top most point and fill till a little coolant comes out, then do up the screw. Don't use plain tap water, only distilled or demineralised water.

All,

I used to have problems with my bike constantly spitting out coolant especially when the going was slow but after I switched to Engine Ice Coolant I have not seen a drop come out! Check them out at www.cyclelogic.cc but I will say it is not cheap at $16.50 for 1/2 gallon. It is pre-mixed with deionized water and it is non-toxic! I am very happy with the results and I love the Tidy-bowl Blue color!

Certain types of antifreeze isn't compatible with each other and can actually do damage to your engine if you mix two different brands.

Orange and Green don't mix either.

Also regular green auto antifreeze contains phosphorus and silicates which will damage the water pump seal on motorcycles and isn't good for aluminum radiators.

Automobile waterpump seals are built to handle the silicates and m/c aren't.

You should either use the already mixed antifreeze like Polarius, Artic Cat, or Maxima that is found at your dealership or go to Walmart and buy either the Prestone or Havoline/Texaco DEX-Cool that is 5 year, ORANGE, and SILICATE free and mix it 50/50.

Make sure you flush your cooling system first to get all the old stuff out.