Base Camp in Michigan

I wanna ...... squeel ..... I'll rinse in the lake and call it a day. .......Wake me up when you come ................. I'm getting a w#%dy.

I dunno sandman..... Some of your hidden messages might make me a bit nervous having you on the trail with us... Note to self...LOCK MOTEL DOOR ROOM AND PROP CHAIR AGAINST DOOR KNOB:p

OK well if we can put something together how does Fathers Day weekend + a couple days work for you guys?

Here's another option we had talked about.... A chase vehicle to carry all the camp gear,spare parts, extra bike,food, ect. I have a Coleman propane powered shower& free standing shower tent, porta john, ect. I would also load an extra backup bike or 2 on the trailer. And just so we don't have to find a driver we take turns driving half day shifts. Driver 1 packs up camp in the morning and drives to the lunch stop and sets up for a easy lunch(sandwiches or hot dogs) and gets his bike and gear out of the trailer. All the riders stop and grab a quick bite and fill up on gas, water, check chains/tire pressure,ect. Then a new driver takes over. It could be pre determined or perhaps somebody volunteers to take the shift if they took a soil sample and are tired or perhaps need to work on their bike. That guys packs up camp and heads to the nights camping spot and unloads and starts prepin' Supper and get's the beers on ice. We do 2 new drivers each day. We get to travel without carring gear on our bikes, We have gas and supplies, We have good food, Shower, tents, BBQ grill, ect. Not to mention a backup bike! At the most any one person is gonna spend 1/2 of 1 day NOT riding.

The chase vehicle is good idea but also a double edge sword. Better if you could find just one person to do it the whole week for you. You know ,former girlfriend,Hooters waitress with the week off. This is the way the original Six Days was run. Move from site to site on a daily basis. Anyway you come up with still be better than unwrapping a necktie.

I say buy some lightweight camping gear and camp off of the bikes. It'll add to the accomplishment. :cool: Speaking of which, I just got my new fancy sleeping bag to go with my fancy hammock tent for just such a ride... Last time sleeping on the ground was rough, or maybe it was the too thin sleeping bag and 40 degree temps causing me to shiver? :applause:

I hear ya on the "Adventure" of doing off the bike. Thought about it a few years back when I had my 625SXC... Bought a tank bag, Eureka back packers tent and some other gear. But ya know ..... Just isn't calling out to me:prof: Perhaps some day I'll get me a 990 Adventure with panniers and a tank bag and do the Trans-Am trail when I retire. For now fast and light seems to fit my mood.

I hear ya on the "Adventure" of doing off the bike. Thought about it a few years back when I had my 625SXC... Bought a tank bag, Eureka back packers tent and some other gear. But ya know ..... Just isn't calling out to me:prof: Perhaps some day I'll get me a 990 Adventure with panniers and a tank bag and do the Trans-Am trail when I retire. For now fast and light seems to fit my mood.

Yea I hear ya on the fast light aspect. When I did it My gear was pretty stripped down and I still brought too much. Next time I am bringing my Hennessy Hammock and my sleeping bag straped to my rear rack. Add on a raincoat and thats about all I am bringing. You have to get extreme with your packing. If you dont use it at least once a day you dont need to bring it. And even then you probably dont need to bring it. You are going to be riding waaay more than you are camping. Bring just the bare essencials for camping, shelter and something to sleep in.

If I was to do the dual support safari I would pack a bit heavier. But bouncing down the singletrack with an extra 30lbs of gear is a workout.

I just picked up my "adventure bike" last spring and LOVE it. Its not quite a 950 adventure but its still an awsome bike.

yzmansstrom.jpg

If you're going to have a chase truck and want to do it in four days you could still start in White Cloud, I'm sure with a little help you could map out and bypass the not so good sections. Most of the good stuff is on the West side anyway. There are some sections on the east side that are pretty good.

What is your plan in terms of dates, Mikey? I just found out I have a wedding to attend down south in mid June. I need to get an exact schedule to see if I can pull both of them off. - J

I say buy some lightweight camping gear and camp off of the bikes. It'll add to the accomplishment. :cool: Speaking of which, I just got my new fancy sleeping bag to go with my fancy hammock tent for just such a ride... Last time sleeping on the ground was rough, or maybe it was the too thin sleeping bag and 40 degree temps causing me to shiver? :applause:

KZOO...what did you get for a sleeping back and hammock? Would you be protected in a downpour storm? I'd be worried about keeping dry during a late night monsoon.

KZOO...what did you get for a sleeping back and hammock? Would you be protected in a downpour storm? I'd be worried about keeping dry during a late night monsoon.

I cant remember what sleeping bag he got but the hammock is a www.hennessyhammock.com I turned him onto this hammock. Its a really cool little unit. Ive only slept in mine once but it was really comfortable. From all the reviews I have read rain isn't an issue with these at all. I need to spend a little more time in mine this summer to get the real feel of it. But I like it so far.

If your interested in one of these hammocks make sure to get the snake skins and the long tree hugger straps. I see that you can also upgrade to the hex rain fly for little to no price. That would be a great upgrade.

I need to spend a little more time in mine this summer to get the real feel of it. But I like it so far.

If you need it broken in, send it to me, there are lots of times that the wife would love to make me sleep outside.

I bought this bag -

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=38505756

comes with a compression sack and the bag is rated for 30 deg F.

I also have a slumberjack bag that is only rated for 50 deg F but packs down to the size of a large grapefuit.

I'm digging the hammock. It's a snap to put up and I've read tons of reviews prior to purchasing. Plus Don thinks it's cool and I let him do all of the research and I ride his coattails.:applause::busted::crazy::cool:

I cant remember what sleeping bag he got but the hammock is a www.hennessyhammock.com

Looks great for a nap but I don't think I could sleep all night in it.

"Quick, Sombody bring me a Corona".

Looks great for a nap but I don't think I could sleep all night in it.

Thats usualy most people's thoughts about it.

1st thing is you cannot be claustrophobic as it kinda wraps around you when you are in it.

But once in it and you get yourself adjusted properly its really comfortable. It has what they call asymetrical cut to it. What that does allows you to lay on an angle. What that does is keeps you from being bent up like a Bannana like most hammocks do. Your body is totaly straight flat when on an angle like that.

I used my thermarest pad in there. I slid the pad into my sleeping bag and slept on that. The pad helps hold the hammock open a little more. And by putting it inside my sleeping bag it keeps you from sliding off it in the middle of the night (a common problem with people using pads inside a hammock from what I hear)

Big Agnes makes a sleeping bag / pad combo thats pretty cool. The sleeping bag has no insulation on the bottom of the bag. Instead it has a pocket for you to slide there 3" pad into. Pretty slick. And from what I have seen there stuff packs super small and light. But its big $$$$$.

I bought another tent over the Holidays...Yea I know...Im a closet gear junky...Anyways..Its a Mountain Hardware Hamerhead 2 tent. Very nice tent. I bought it for use on the streetbike as it fits perfect inside my pannier. Has plenty of room inside and has 2 nice sized vestibules. Cant wait to try it out this summer.

Oh and here is the pack that the hammock comes in

P8290036.jpg

I put it in a compression bag and got it down a little smaller. The green bag is the tent stakes and tree hugger straps. They aint gonna compress so I left them out of the compression bag. That green bag does not come with the tent I bought that seperate from campmor.

P8290037.jpg

Now that pack has the larger hex rain fly in there. I got the cheeper hex fly and it down't pack quite as small and light as the better more expensive one does. Hindsite ya know....What the heck its only $ right?

Also here is the sleeping bag I bought when I did the safari.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173439&memberId=12500226

It comes with a big pillowcase sized storage bag that you use when its put away. You dont store a down bag in its compression bag. Always store them fluffed up in the big bag or if you can hanging in the closet.

Then it has a black stuff sack shown below.

P8290035.jpg

me not being one to leave anything alone got a compression bag and stuffed the hell out of that baby and walla.

P8290034.jpg

Down compresses better than synthetic bags but down is rendered usless if it gets wet where synthetic bags will still keep ya warm if they are wet. Mine is the down bag.

I thought you guys were roughing it onthese trips. You should be doing it like on the old cattle drives, one blanket to lay on and a rock for a pillow.

I thought you guys were roughing it onthese trips. You should be doing it like on the old cattle drives, one blanket to lay on and a rock for a pillow.

Dude Im like old and stuff...If I slept with a rock for a pillow you better just throw some more rocks on top of me cause I aint getting up in the morning :cool:

We all know your just a softy .:cool:

This years Six Days of Michigan is starting out of Grayling. No move day, six different trails, back to the campground every night if you want. There was a rumor of some riders doing the Six Days the traditional way this year as a CCC 40th anniversary special. Lot's of activities for mom and the kids at the campground during the day. It's a month behind what you're planning though in the 3rd week of July.

Might give it a thought.

There was a rumor of some riders doing the Six Days the traditional way this year as a CCC 40th anniversary special. QUOTE]

Hey, This could be fun. LOWER - Day 1 Mio / Day 2 -3 Wolverine - UPPER - Day 4 Birch / Day 5-6 Drummond : Alternate UPPER Bass Lk./ Porterfield

Crap,I only need one more to make this a party. Who's in?

Have to say I"m sorry for hijacking this guys thread. Maby we should start a new one. But then again he is from Ohio.:cool:

There was a rumor of some riders doing the Six Days the traditional way this year as a CCC 40th anniversary special.

Hey, This could be fun. LOWER - Day 1 Mio / Day 2 -3 Wolverine - UPPER - Day 4 Birch / Day 5-6 Drummond : Alternate UPPER Bass Lk./ Porterfield

Crap,I only need one more to make this a party. Who's in?

Have to say I"m sorry for hijacking this guys thread. Maby we should start a new one. But then again he is from Ohio.:cool:

Now that sounds like a good time. If you're serious, post a new thread. We've gone and jacked this thread all up...