Sign in to follow this  

Base Camp in Michigan

Me and my buddies have tried for 3 years now to venture North from Ohio to Michigan. Seems like each year something screws us out of our trip. Well we have a green light from the Wifes to ride Fathers Day weekend. Original plan was to leave the Wifes and kids at a campground with the toy hauler and ride the MCCCT loop staying at motels along the way. Plan 2 would have us staying at a central location campground and head out each morning to ride a different loop. Either camp ground should have fishing for the kids and be family friendly. We're more interested in singletrack than dirt roads. All bikes will be dual sported. Any ideas?

I'd try north higgins lake state park. There is a nice beach on a beautiful lake. Also the campground is pretty close to the west higgins lake trailhead which links to the mccct. Another ride is southeast of the campground at st.helen. another part of the mccct.

The Tomahawk trails A,B,C would be nice & the MCCCT runs through there too,There is camping & a lake-lakes? around too,Located near Wolverine,MI

The Tomahawk trails A,B,C would be nice & the MCCCT runs through there too,There is camping & a lake-lakes? around too,Located near Wolverine,MI

Yea Weber Lake Campground at Wolverene is a really nice little spot to camp. It does fill up quick though and its 1st come 1st served and on fathers day weekend it could fill up fast. Wolverene is an awsome place to ride as well. There are 3 loops to hit and the Mccct runs right thru there as well.

let us know where you end up going, and what trails you plan to ride, if you dont mind others tagging along.

Will do... We put together some pretty good group rides over at KTMTALK over the years. When the time gets closer we can plan something out.

How would you guys who have ridden all or parts of the MCCCT rate it? It sounds like the guy who did the nice ride report enjoyed it. I guess from his bike(DR350) and the fact that he was pretty loaded I would rate him more of an "Adventure Rider". I suppose me any my riding buddies although we do dual sport rides are more "Trail Riders" We enjoy tight singletrack and as little road as possible. We will be on mostly 450 KTM's with me on a 250EXC 2 stroke. Will a "B" rider be bored on the MCCCT? It need not be AA enduro trail the whole way and we don't mind easier trails if the whole experience of doing the loop and staying at motels along the way adds to the uniqueness(sp?) of the trip. We have never done a multi-day adventure ride like that before.

On the other hand returning to the campsite each nite after a different(good) trail loop for family time sure would be better for the Wifes.

Opinions?

I did the Mccct Safari with 4 other guys 2 years ago on my CRF250x. We did it with no veichle support, packing what we need on the bikes. Very minimalistic.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399989&highlight=mccct+safari

If ya need some intel on it PM me and well talk. I Love the tight nasty single track and know where to find it on the Mccct.

Your question reminds me of one of my favorite jokes. My son and I ride the CCC trails all of the time and when asked if we have a place up Noth I say yes. We have a place big enough for everyone we invite, a build in pool and kitchen with a cook. Then I give them directions.

Take I-75 to exit 212, make a right a exit, then a left a the first light and finally a right in the second drive way. The joke is this is the drive way to the Quality Inn in West Branch.

If you stay in West Branch area you have a ton of options, both in motels and camping. The St. Helens, Geels and AbroseLake/Rose City loops are all with in 1/2 hour drive and are all connected by the Ogemaw Connector.

If you want more, with in 1 hour there is the Mio, the Meadows, Denton/Leota, and Higgins Lake.

There are so many choices I'm sure that I forgot some.

PM is you want more info and let me know when your going if you want company. Schedule permitting, my son and I try to get up as much as possible.

How would you guys who have ridden all or parts of the MCCCT rate it? It sounds like the guy who did the nice ride report enjoyed it. I guess from his bike(DR350) and the fact that he was pretty loaded I would rate him more of an "Adventure Rider". I suppose me any my riding buddies although we do dual sport rides are more "Trail Riders" We enjoy tight singletrack and as little road as possible. We will be on mostly 450 KTM's with me on a 250EXC 2 stroke. Will a "B" rider be bored on the MCCCT? It need not be AA enduro trail the whole way and we don't mind easier trails if the whole experience of doing the loop and staying at motels along the way adds to the uniqueness(sp?) of the trip. We have never done a multi-day adventure ride like that before.

On the other hand returning to the campsite each nite after a different(good) trail loop for family time sure would be better for the Wifes.

Opinions?

Here is another report on an MCCCT ride. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138402

Thanks for your ride reports. At this point I think I am leaning towards the campground and new trail each morning. I am afraid hauling all the needed gear bike may take too much enjoyment out of riding, But then again if we do it we would stay at a motel each night(not sure I could go 4 or 5 days without a shower).

Oh the desicions.....:cool:

Thanks for your ride reports. At this point I think I am leaning towards the campground and new trail each morning. I am afraid hauling all the needed gear bike may take too much enjoyment out of riding, But then again if we do it we would stay at a motel each night(not sure I could go 4 or 5 days without a shower).

Oh the desicions.....:cool:

Yea after 5 days straight in the saddle to run the MCCCT you are totaly whipped! If your looking at a run at the MCCCT safari know that you will be riding from sun up to sundown most days. Doing that for 5 days straight really wears on ya. But it is fun none the less.

And yea 5 days without a shower really sucked. Wet wipes are your friend. With enough wet wipes you can almost feel human again. State forrest campgrounds usualy have hand pump water you can hose off in. Its dang cold but at least youll be cleaner.

I'm no GQ pretty boy, But for me to do the Safari it would require a hot shower each night. Also in my "travel light & fast" scenario I would figure out which motel we would be staying at on the second day and half way through the trip. I would UPS a box with a change of riding gear for everybody and a few more pairs of socks and undies(throw away the dirty ones each night). In our care package It would allow us all to stock up on snacks 2 stroke oil and extra inner tubes if needed. I would also include a UPS return label to ship home dirty gear, souvineers, disposable cameras, ect.

CAN THIS BE DONE IN 4 DAYS?:cool:

If ya chopped off the 2 bottom legs http://www.gldsmc.org/public/MCCCT%20Cover%2012-9-04.pdf

and just ran the main loop including the connector trail. How hany miles would ya guess that would be?

I wanna go.:cool: I don't need no hotel though. I carried a backpackers stove and a tin cup for tea in the morning along with some instant oatmeal. You know, the kind that cooks in its own bag. I wanna listen to the crickets and the rabbits squeel when they get caught by a racoon. I'll rinse in the lake and call it a day. The moon and the stars will keep me company.Wake me up when you come to my tent on the trail.There are a few sections you could skip here and there. You could probobly do the main loop in three days. YZMANN and 2TrakR could help you out best there. Check with 2Trakr for gps maps.I better stop. I'm getting a w#%dy.

CAN THIS BE DONE IN 4 DAYS?:cool:

If ya chopped off the 2 bottom legs http://www.gldsmc.org/public/MCCCT%20Cover%2012-9-04.pdf

and just ran the main loop including the connector trail. How hany miles would ya guess that would be?

You could skip the Gladwin leg, east side, (south of the cross state connecter) and you wouldn't be missing anything.