Sign in to follow this  

thinking of new 300xc

I currently have a 2006 crf450x and love the bike, however, it is heavy and I am considering the 300xc. I am looking for comparable power without the weight(265lbs. vs 216lbs. is huge). I don't mind kick starting since my battery rarely works anyway I am used to kick starting. As easy as mine is to kick start, I understand the 300xc is even easier. I mostly ride trails in the woods and think the 300xc would be much easier to throw around. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has ridden 450 four stroke and the 300xc.

Thanks,

Howard

The 300XC has more of a MX close ratio gear box compared to your CRFX. I would consider a 300XC-W for the fact the gearing is more spaced and you dont have to shift as much. You might also want to take a look at the TM300EN and Gasgas EC300. All these bikes are great.

I have rode 450s. The 300 feels alot lighter. Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a 300 to me if your wanting a lighter more flickable bike.

I have rode 450s. The 300 feels alot lighter. Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a 300 to me if your wanting a lighter more flickable bike.

And a lot less maint-----300XC is a great bike. I like the XC tranny, seems like you rarely are in a bad gear. I like my 525, but I would take a 300 for my "big" bike anyday over a 4T. I've gotten so spoiled on my 200XC, my 525 is now just a dual sport, it rarely sees the trails.

Howard-

I just bought an '08 300 XC, having ridden an '05 CRF450X for the last 2 1/2 years. I have close to 9000 dirt miles on my X, so it has been ridden! The X is a great bike and been a trusty steed, for sure. I have most of the normal mods on it, including Stage 1 cam, Rekluse clutch, redone suspension, etc., etc. It's been ridden hard, put away wet, and always comes back smiling and rarin' to go. It's just a very capable machine.

I've owned many 2 strokes in my life and still have a CR500. I've always wanted something reasonably powerful and ultra light. The X is just a little heavy. I've never owned a KTM before. I've got about 150 miles on the 300, now.

I ride mostly in mountainous terrain, lots of single track (some pretty fast), lots of rocks, fast sand washes, high desert terrain, technical canyons, etc., etc. So, what can I tell you about the 300XC versus the the CRF450X? Well, here ya go.

First off the 300XC is light!!! That is so cool and exactly what I wanted. Because of the light weight, it is eminently throwable and flickable. Think about it and it's done. Where the X is more calculating and smooth, the XC wants to be tossed and is much more spontaneous. Even with the stock suspension and my 190+ lbs (215 in gear), it's handles impressively well. Chalk that up to light weight. I'm respringing it for my weight. The TC forks seem very good to me and mine are not truly broken in yet. Some complain they seem firm. I haven't felt that way at all. I've been pretty impressed with them. So, in the kick ass, fun to ride category, the 300 XC is a winner, exactly what I wanted.

Power-wise, it rips. It lugs very well, claws up hills easily, and, while not a CR500, it's certainly no slug. It's more pipey than the X, but nothing crazy. I'd say it's at least as fast as my X. It puts power down very well. It seems to get around really well in technical stuff. For your woodsy, single tracks, the 300XC will flat smoke the 450X. I also found the XC to be significantly less tiring to ride than the X. I chalk this up to the huge weight difference.

In a sand wash it's an absolute monster. The light weight, incredible agility and handling, combined with abundant power make it a sand wash rocket - almost as good as my CR500. Much better than the X. It just begs to be ridden with gay abandon. Point it, pin it, and go :cool:

This is the easiest starting bike I've ever owned. It almost always starts on the first or second kick, even in 20 degree weather. I think you could almost kick it over by hand. Very cool, as the my X is a very reluctant cold starter under about 35 degrees. Where the E-start on the X is really necessary, on the XC it would be just an unnecessary luxury.

Gearing- well, the XC's semi-close ratio gear box will never leave you wanting for a different gear on the trail. It's always in the right gear :applause: until it runs out of gears :busted: Any single track, that is remotely fast, I'm running in 4th and 5th gear. I occasionally use 3rd, rarely 2nd, and almost never 1st, except in technical stuff. Comfortable, top cruising speed is way below the X. On my first couple of rides, I was shocked how quickly I was in my top gear. I kept thinking there had to be another there somewhere. So, if you need to cruise high speed dirt roads for any distance, this could be annoying. They claim it will do about 75 mph, but I'd be surprised if it did. I'm pretty sure it would seem like it was about to blow at that speed. Honestly, for 95% of the riding I do, it's really okay. I do wish it had a sixth gear, however. I think it would tough to gear it a whole lot taller, if you do much technical riding, as the first gear is not really a granny gear. While this may not be a true motocross close ratio, it's darn close. I'm afraid that dropping more than a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket might result in a first gear that would be too tall for the truly tight stuff. But, I haven't tried it.

Maintenance - the KTM definitely gets the nod for ease of routine maintenance over any 4 stroke. Everything is so accessible. I can literally remove the rear shock in about 3 or 4 minutes max, without removing any body panels - pull the rear axle, remove the top and bottom shock bolts, and voila! It's done. Compared to the X, servicing the air filter is a piece of cake.

Other things of concern - the XC will not get the fuel mileage that the X does. I like to do long rides and this will be an issue. On my X, I can count on 100+ miles out of my 3.2 gallon IMS tank. Not so for the XC. I think I'm getting around 25 +/- mpg. This is not race pace riding, but fast trail riding. On my second ride, I went 47 miles and didn't hit reserve. I figure it's probably good for 60+ miles on its 2.9 gallon stock tank. We'll see. Mixing gas is a non-issue for me. It's easier than changing engine oil. On long rides, I just carry a small bottle of oil to mix with any gas I get. No big deal. Most of the people I ride with are on 4 strokes. To me, they're just mobile refueling stations.

The XC is so quiet:applause: I love it!! Screw those noisy ass 4 strokes. It's got a great zippy, not loud, sound. People following behind me have commented on how cool it sounds. The silent assassin.

Ergos are great!!. I'm 6' tall. I had to make the X fit. I hopped on the XC and it was perfect. All I did was move the bars to the most forward position (there are 4 positions) and it was great.

Brakes are super. No complaints. Powerful and progressive. The Brembo hydraulic clutch is very good - light and easy to modulate. I may not even bother with a Rekluse on this one.

It surprisingly hard to stall the XC. Even though my clutch skills are a little rusty (due the the Rekluse on my X), I almost never stall the XC. Another reason to not get the Rekluse for this 2 stroke.

I haven't sold my 450X - yet. I want to keep it, because it's been such a good ride. But, I don't know. I'm afraid it's not going to get much riding time, now that I have the 300XC.

Sorry this was so long winded. I hope this answers a few of questions.

well said, i just dropped 2 teeth on my rear sprocket, but havent ridden it yet, are you still all stock on the jetting and the PV spring? definatly at the very least get a rear spring, thier way under sprung out back and handle so much better when setup right. my 525 still has its place but the 3 honey so far is awesome.

Mike

well said, i just dropped 2 teeth on my rear sprocket, but havent ridden it yet, are you still all stock on the jetting and the PV spring? definatly at the very least get a rear spring, thier way under sprung out back and handle so much better when setup right. my 525 still has its place but the 3 honey so far is awesome.

Still stock jetting. I ride at 5000'-7000' and it's pretty chilly up here (25-45 degrees). Surprisingly the stock jetting seems to work quite well. It's actually the owners manual recommended jetting for my riding conditions. Have not touched the PV. Maybe, after little more time on it, I'll start tinkering.

Was going to have Javier do the suspension, but came to the realization the budget just wasn't there right now. I knew I needed a new rear spring, as my sag numbers were 33/124. Wrestled with the straight rate vs. progressive issue. Against your advice, I went with the progressive, figuring it might work better, if I'm not doing a revalve. I was concerned about the 7.4 w/o a revalve. My logic was telling me it might be too harsh in the small stuff. I just put on a PDS 5 progressive. It's a 6.6-8.6. Haven't been able to measure the race sag yet, but the static sag is 40mm with 5mm preload. That part sounds good. I hope the race sag is okay. Haven't ridden it yet. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and get the full revalve, etc. Maybe I'll have the cash by then.

I'm curious how that 48 tooth sprocket will work.

Did about 50 miles the other day in lots of snow, ice, and slick-as-snot mud. The 300XC was wonderful. It was pretty much oblivious to the marginal traction conditions. I know it would have been a LOT more work on my 450X. I'm diggin' this bike :cool:

My .02 cents. I recently got a 300 XCW to race instead of my 450 XCW. I love the 450 but when the going gets tough and tight its heavy. It will wear you out in a minute in the soft tight sand washes. The 300 is like riding a 50hp mountain bike. Its light , fast and responds impressively. Its so much fun to ride. I resprung my shock and found the forks to still be good for the increased rear spring. It turns so much easier than the heavier 450. I chose the W because I wanted the higher top end. I found with my older 300

(1999) that by going up one tooth on the rear it closed the ratio's a bit and still had a better top end than the XC ratio's. Either the XC or XCW is a great bike. Spring it for your weight, drop the needle a couple notches and go ride. You'll love it. The 450 has become my duel sport, casual trail ride bike. It still is a great bike.

In the last year, I went from a XR600, to a WR426 to a KTM300. All the reponses you have recieved so far I agree with. The one thing that is mentioned that I will echo, is the low end torque. I was amazed how you can chug up hills and short shift. Getting on the pipe is just a clutch feather away. Weight, suspension, handling- did I mention weight? The 300 is an awesome off road bike. Mine isn't even new, it's an 2004! I never put low end torque and 2 stroke in the same sentence having only owned small bore two stroke motocrossers. You will be amazed with a KTM 2t- completely different!!!

I currently have a 2006 crf450x and love the bike, however, it is heavy and I am considering the 300xc. I am looking for comparable power without the weight(265lbs. vs 216lbs. is huge). I don't mind kick starting since my battery rarely works anyway I am used to kick starting. As easy as mine is to kick start, I understand the 300xc is even easier. I mostly ride trails in the woods and think the 300xc would be much easier to throw around.
I got rid of an '05 CRF250X to get an '08 300XC and I agree with pretty much everything gprodick said above. Having read over the years about quirky KTM ergos, I was a bit concerned. But that doesn't seem to be an issue; my son and I agree that the XC is perfectly interchangeable with our '03 CR250 (now a 285). In fact, the 285 convinced me that I wanted a big-bore 2-stroke in the first place and the (properly jetted) XC engine does not disappoint.

My son is a bit envious of the Brembo clutch (smooth as silk), so I may need to pick up a Magura for the CR. For me, the e-start isn't necessary, but I'm installing it anyway for those "Oops, shouldn't have done that" moments.

Weight was one of the primary reasons I decided to get rid of our X - it weighed in at 236 lbs without gas while our CR weighed in at 213 lbs. The XC feels about equal to the CR, so for now, I believe the 216 number.

On a side note, I weigh in at around 185 lbs in full gear and I ride a lot of sand at usually 5,300 ft elevation. At this elevation, we have roughly 80% of sea level horsepower and the 300 could still be a handful in tight riding situations. If I were closer to sea level or rode only tight trails, I might have considered a 250 or even a 200.

Still stock jetting. I ride at 5000'-7000' and it's pretty chilly up here (25-45 degrees). Surprisingly the stock jetting seems to work quite well. It's actually the owners manual recommended jetting for my riding conditions.
Try the stock needle in clip 2.5 (clip shim) or 3, a 160 main jet and the red PV spring :cool:.

Try the stock needle in clip 2.5 (clip shim) or 3, a 160 main jet and the red PV spring :cool:.

I'll do that, thanks. I haven't started messing with jetting yet. I'm going out this afternoon for a bit. I just put a new spring on it (PDS 5), so I'll be focusing on the rear suspension today. Once I get that dialed, I'll really take a look at jetting. It does run pretty darn well right now, however.

I am currently breaking in my 08' 300XC-W. In the last year I went from an XR650 to a KTM450SX to this bike. I'm sold.:cool:

Guys,

Thanks for all of your responses, especially "gprodick", that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am real close to buying the bike, trying to arrange to ride one in the next week.

Very appreciative.

Howard

One more to echo all that has been said. I just bought an '05 300EXC and now that everything is setup on it, for my weight, it's just been a blast. I've just come from a KTM450 MXC and previous bikes were also BB 4t's. This thing is everything that's been previously mentioned. I've also riden several of the '08's and they are just all that much better.... :cool:

One more to echo all that has been said. I just bought an '05 300EXC and now that everything is setup on it, for my weight, it's just been a blast. I've just come from a KTM450 MXC and previous bikes were also BB 4t's. This thing is everything that's been previously mentioned. I've also riden several of the '08's and they are just all that much better.... :cool:

glad to see it is working out for you Wrfrk. :applause:

To the OP, many of the opinions I agree with, but some have not ridden or owned the other 2T sizes. I would consider and throw a leg over a 250XC also, just sayin.

I just rode my 2008 XCW for the first time switching from a 2006 CRFX. The XCW is much easier for me to handle in the washes and sand hills. The XCW seems to have about the same power as the CRFX maybe not quite as smooth, very difficult to explain. There is no comparison in handling the XCW is very easy to handle and the center of gravity is much lower than the CRFX. Even though the weight difference is about 30 pound it seem like 60 pounds. I just turned 66 and XCW should allow me to ride at least another 5 years. I have unplugged the mapping wire and change the power valve spring to the green (so I’m ride it in the mildest configuration.) I had been out of riding for about 15 years before I purchased my 2006 CRFX and Now that I have the 2008 XCW it has really restored confidence in riding. Absolutly love this KTM. I should mention that I'm 6" and 175lbs.