CHP inspection for dualsport conversion

I had met a TT member at the West Coast TT Ride-In last month who mentioned a local CHP officer who could do dualsport inspections. I purchased a bike that had a California title and was street registered in NV, and was supposed to be no problem to get registered in CA according to the previous owner. I have been getting the run around from the Sacramento DMV and now they are requiring that I take the bike to CHP to get an Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate. Does anyone have any advice or the contact info for a CHP officer who might be able to help me get the inspection sorted out. HELP...

Thanks much!

motojason

Yeah me and my friend had to do that with our XR650. Just locate your nearest CHP office and bring it there. I wouldn't ride it since it isn't street legal in CA yet. DMV gave us the paperwork and the officer at the CHP office just looked at the bike, filled out the paperwork and back to DMV we went.

Did you tell DMV it was a "motorcycle" and not a "dirt bike"? Since it's a XR400, you should have no trouble getting it legal here in CA.. If DMV tries to say it's a Dirtbike, be like NOPE, it's a motorcycle. You have to understand that DMV workers are overworked and underpaid, so you have to find the right person.

When i brought my KTM in from canada, they had to inspect it as well, but not by the CHP, they can do it at DMV, just depends on who you get i guess..

I know it is a hassle, but XRs are easy to get plated in CA so just be patient and it will happen. It seems like the DMV is harder to work with when trying to CA street register a bike that is already registered in another state. Switching from an off-road to a street registration within CA is simple (or at least it should be) and does not require a CHP or DMV inspection. I've done it twice with no problems whatsoever. For more info, check the dual sport forum where this topic has been covered extensively.

You do not have to have the CHP inspect the bike for a dirt to road title. All you have to do is have a licensed dealer inspect the lighting and you yourself need to sign a statement of facts stating that you have read form CHP 888 and that your bike also complies with 888. Then you go to the DMV with proof of insurance and get the plate. Don’t even bring the bike. I did this on an XR650R without having DOT tires on it.

I think that the only time you have to bring the bike to DMV is for an out of state bike that you are transferring in.

I did not start reading at the top of the posts. The DMV should be able to do the VIN Inspection. I have transfered a vehicle from out of state and the local DMV performed the inspection. Maybe this has changed?

Thanks for the advice. According to the DMV the bike requires a CHP inspection because the VIN number only appears in one location on the frame. There is no "federal emissions" sticker on the frame with the VIN. I was told that the number has to appear in two locations for the DMV to approve it. The CA title already indicates that the bike is a “motorcycle” and not a dirt bike. The DMV inspector was utterly perplexed by the VIN number appearing in only one location on the frame and said he could do nothing for me, but refer me to the CHP.