525EXC Aussie dual sport 1st ride report

Got my 525EHC put together today and went for my first ride. The carb restrictor kept me from going much over 1/3 throttle and the jetting, air box and exhaust restriction pretty much took care of any power that might normally been available. Seems the speedo reads KmH instead of MPH, does anyone know if that can be changed (it's not the multi-mode enduro unit, just shows speed, distance and hours). Another annoyance is the left rear turn signal is mounted right behind the hole in the (non-forest service approved)exhaust pipe so I now have a slightly melted turn signal. Oh, and did I mention the lower triple clamp will need to be replaced and I haven't been able to reach the guy I bought it from, Zach at GoodFellow Racing, since last week?

I'm really happy with the 450EXC that I bought from Canada, but I'm really dissapointed with the Aussie 525 馃檪.

Yes, the "Aussie" 525 does have a throttle restrictor, but it's a 10 minute job for ANYONE that can hold some tools. I'm unaware of what the "airbox and exhaust" restrictions are. Yes, the speedo would read in Km/H as that is what we run on over here - the METRIC system! Also, we don't yet have the requirement for spark arrestors and the lower clamp recall is for ALL '03 models.

I personally know of 9 '03 model owners who are absolutely pleased with the performance of their "Aussie" spec bikes.Most of the gripes mentioned seem pretty easy to fix. Maybe I'm just too laid back? 馃檪

The KMH can be changed to MPH but first you will need to purchase the mode switch for the handlebar, this is the same switch that comes stock on the American model. Once installed follow instructions in owners manual. If you want to calibrate odo for exact readings you have to disconnect the power plug and install the battery in odo. You can leave the battery installed, but when you reconnect the battery hard wiring it will revert to Odo and running time only function.

I set up my friends 2003 KTM 525 EXC Australian Dualsport. The mods were as follows:

路 Remove Air Filter Cover

路 Remove Throttle Stop Screw

路 Change Needle to OCEMN #4

路 Idle Mixture Screw 1 戮 Turns Out

路 Remove Perforated Plate from Silencer Opening

It went from being a pig with blued exhaust headers to 3rd gear power wheelies.

I used the Tripmaster switch from my USA 2003 KTM 525 EXC to reset his speedo to read MPH.

Also, the front tire on the Australian induced a bad wobble on certain pavement at speeds higher than 60 MPH. We put the tire and wheel from the USA model onto the Australian bike and the wobble went away.

Check that lower triple clamp too. Both my USA and his Australian ones were cracked. The USA had been replaced once before by KTMUSA. We've both opted to go 18mm offset so it a non-issue for us.

Finally, don't try to use clutch slave cylinder guard with the larger front spocket that comes on the australian bike. The guard from Enduro Engineering won't clear the chain.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the EE clutch guard, Mine came with a OBDTN in bag so its installed now, seems a tad rich at 2000 ft. but will stick with it untill break in is a thing of the past. Also putting on KTM 18 mm clamps, to replace recalled ones (cool bronze colour). On the exhaust header colour, I have only seen one RFS that did not turn blue, and they were a gold. I really don"t think the header colour is indicative of jetting as much as it is how hot they get running at slow speeds. I think any single wall chrome pipe would discolour. JMHO . I have heard that the Ausie version comes with extra chain and 50 tooth rear sprocket, heard this from two people, and truth to the rumour, as mine did not have them.

BillyD, thanks for your input. Right after work today I decided to become a M/C mechanic so I broke out the tool box and thanks to the many Great Posts on this board I jumped in with both hands! Within 30 minutes I had figured out how to open the carb and replace the needle and that damn throttle restricter, put it back together, test ride, removed the screen from the exhaust, test ride again. WOW! :D I'm going to like this bike! OK, I'm an elctronics tech, I can figure out this speedo, got out my ohm meter, some shorting wires and the manual, 5 minutes later I had the wiring of the 4 conductor plug that the trip switch plugs into figured out and had the unit reading MPH.

Now if I could only get ahold of Zach from GoodFellow Racing 馃檪 and get my triple clamp replaced I'd be all set.

I talked with Zach last week and he seems to be working the replacement triple clamp issue. My guess is there's probably a worldwide shortage right now. Had we not decided to go the 18mm offset route, the plan of action was to:

1. See whether a local dealer would handle the replacement, but as discussed extensively elsewhere, certain dealers might not be all that willing to help (although heaven help any dealer that refused service to someone who later was injured or killed due to a lower triple clamp failure. They would be named in any resulting product liability lawsuit, right along with KTMUSA and KTM Sportmotorcycles, A.G.);

2. Get a replacement KTM clamp via Goodfellow Racing, however, it is not clear timing on this one;

3. Zach was investigating a deal with someone like Applied Racing for a deal on lower clamps.

But, as I mentioned, we opted to go with 18mm offset instead of the stock 20mm, so I am still going to get a replacement stock unit and just keep it. I may put the bike back to stock when I sell it as the 18mm may fit the next bike I buy.

Bill

At this point I'm more than a bit dissapointed that I haven't heard back from Zach, and I hope anyone thinking about purchasing a bike from Canada give careful consideration when choosing a dealer/broker. I also purchased a 450EXC from Scott Whitington, he emailed me and faxed a copy of the recall document, then followed up with another email to see if I needed help with the replacement.

BillyD, on your comment about the front wheel wobble on the Aussie bike, I also noticed that on some road surfaces the front wheel seems to wobble and feel unstable, usually on a rough paved road. I didn't payattention to the speed at which it began to feel unstable. Do you think it's just the tire?

CArider:

I'm pretty sure it was the tire on the Australian bike...

I had been sorting out my USA model and made several runs over this particular stretch of road before my buddy came over to my house with his bike.

The first time I took it down this same road, the thing wobbled so badly I thought I was goint to lose it. At first, thought it was the dual OEM KTM mirrors and made another run. Still wobbled.

Took off the handguards, still wobbled.

Since I have a Scotts on my bike and the Australian bike did not, I took the Scotts off my bike and ran down the road. Rock stable, no wobble all the way up to 85 MPH (or whatever these things will do).

Hmmm...both front wheels were true. We installed the USA front wheel and tire on the Australia. No more wobble.

We did not put the Australian wheel/tire on the USA bike nor did we swap tires on the rims...we had other things to do.

So, yes, I believe it was the Australian tire inducing the wobble.