Sign in to follow this  

Baldy Mesa/Cajon Pass staging area during RR construction?

I heard that OHVers can use the existing staging area at Baldy Mesa/Cajon Pass on Fridays and Saturdays since the railroad construction stops on those days.

Can anyone confirm that this is true. Has anyone used the staging area since the construction started?

Has anyone staged at the staging area near the RR tressels since construction began?

I keep getting conflicting reports.

People have told me that we can actually use the staging area on Fridays and Saturdays.

I still can't believe the RR wasn't forced to mitigate their impact on our staging area.

I don't believe you can stage there at all during construction. I was up ther to ride from the Silverwood dam a few weeks ago (on a Saturday) and there was a ranger parked at the entrance to the RR staging by the freeway. I didn't stop to ask, but it looked like he was there to keep people out.

Your best bet it probably to just stop 1 exit south of the 138r and stage at Cleghorn Rd or drive a mile down 138 and stage on the right (not sure what this trail crossing is called).

There was a large amount of equipment there when I looked down that way towards the trestles. There is no way that the RR company would allow people to stage down there IMO. I think I may have seen a sign stating the dates of the closure some time ago. Like previously stated there are other area to stage near by.

Your best bet it probably to just stop 1 exit south of the 138r and stage at Cleghorn Rd or drive a mile down 138 and stage on the right (not sure what this trail crossing is called).

The staging area at Cleghorn is fine if you plan to ride Cleghorn/Silverwood, but you can't access the trails on Baldy Mesa from that staging area. Nor can you acess the trails from the "alternate" staging area on the 138.

That's my problem with this whole thing is they basically succeeded in closing an entire riding area by making one staging area off limits. There are a ton of dirt roads leading to the Mesa that can be accessed from the West side of the 15 but of course creating a temporary staging area off of one of those was not an option...even though it should be!

There was a large amount of equipment there when I looked down that way towards the trestles. There is no way that the RR company would allow people to stage down there IMO. I think I may have seen a sign stating the dates of the closure some time ago. Like previously stated there are other area to stage near by.

Yeah, I figured the info I got was suspect about being able to use the staging area on the project's off days. They have a big bone yard sitting in that general area with a ton of equipment.

Again, as far as I know there are no other staging areas provided as the result of this project that allow green/red sticker vehicles to access the trails on Baldy Mesa.

The "other staging" areas nearby allow green/red sticker vehicles to access Cleghorn/Silverwood, but you can't get to the Mesa from those two areas...

OK. Let me try to pose my question another way...

Has anyone, since the construction, found a legal place to stage at Cajon Pass in order to ride the FS trails on Baldy Mesa?

Is there a legal, alternate staging area that allows green/red sticker bikes access to the FS trails on the mesa?

I'm aware of the two staging areas for the Cleghorn/Silverwood area. But you can't technically access the Baldy Mesa trails.

The staging area at Cleghorn is fine if you plan to ride Cleghorn/Silverwood, but you can't access the trails on Baldy Mesa from that staging area. Nor can you acess the trails from the "alternate" staging area on the 138.

That's my problem with this whole thing is they basically succeeded in closing an entire riding area by making one staging area off limits. There are a ton of dirt roads leading to the Mesa that can be accessed from the West side of the 15 but of course creating a temporary staging area off of one of those was not an option...even though it should be!

Na you can ride down to the railroad tracks and take them across to the Baldy Mesa staging area. Its legal. Its on thier kiosk map.

Na you can ride down to the railroad tracks and take them across to the Baldy Mesa staging area. Its legal. Its on thier kiosk map.

When was the last time you did this?

We used to do that for years so we could ride both the mesa trails and cleghorn.

However, about three years ago the RR started posting a guy at the crossing and he told us we were not allowed to use the crossing.

I stopped using the crossing and assumed the RR and FS wouldn't let people use it, especially during the construction.

Have you used the crossing since the construction started?

Cant you stage at the summit in that private parking lot. I have seen bikes here, but they may have been plated.

Cant you stage at the summit in that private parking lot. I have seen bikes here, but they may have been plated.

I'd be nervous about that since all it takes is the person owning the parking lot the businesses are attached to waking up on the wrong side of the bed and calling a tow truck while you're out riding.

I've had several good suggestions on other staging areas and I've explored most of them and found several possibilities.

At the end of the day, however, I want to keep this thread high in the Ca riding forum because ultimately I think we all need to realize that the RR should have mitigated their impact on our staging area by working with the FS to establish a suitable alternate that allows Green and Red sticker bikes access to Baldy Mesa.

If we are actually allowed to access the Baldy Mesa area from Cleghorn, via, the RR crossing, I sure would like to hear about it because it's news to me...

Isnt that a restraunt at the summit. Maybe asking the manager if they would be OK with it since you will be retuning hungry and thirsty might alleviate your concern.

I'd be nervous about that since all it takes is the person owning the parking lot the businesses are attached to waking up on the wrong side of the bed and calling a tow truck while you're out riding.

I've had several good suggestions on other staging areas and I've explored most of them and found several possibilities.

At the end of the day, however, I want to keep this thread high in the Ca riding forum because ultimately I think we all need to realize that the RR should have mitigated their impact on our staging area by working with the FS to establish a suitable alternate that allows Green and Red sticker bikes access to Baldy Mesa.

If we are actually allowed to access the Baldy Mesa area from Cleghorn, via, the RR crossing, I sure would like to hear about it because it's news to me...

You can park at the staging area off of the 138 and get to Baldy. We parked there yesterday. You just cross the street and go over the tracks and follow them. The RR workers don't care if you take the crossing. We actually stopped and talked to them and they told us how to get to the staging area. It's a few miles or bring riding though. The kiosk at the staging area shows the trail.

You can park at the staging area off of the 138 and get to Baldy. We parked there yesterday. You just cross the street and go over the tracks and follow them. The RR workers don't care if you take the crossing. We actually stopped and talked to them and they told us how to get to the staging area. It's a few miles or bring riding though. The kiosk at the staging area shows the trail.

That's good to hear but I don't believe the RR or the FS actually approve that path of travel. Perhaps they are turning the blind eye because of the construction closing down the staging area.

Like I said, we used to cross the RR and the 138 and hit Cleghorn in the same day we'd ride Baldy Mesa but the RR started putting workers at the crossing who told us we could not cross.

I've also ran into the FS when riding on the Cleghorn side and upon asking me where I had staged from they would tell me I wasn't technically allowed to cross the RR tracks.

Nonetheless, I guess I'll just do it until someone tells me not to.

Isnt that a restraunt at the summit. Maybe asking the manager if they would be OK with it since you will be retuning hungry and thirsty might alleviate your concern.

LOL. Yeah it's a little restaurant. I've ate there a ton of times. Good food.

Something tells me that in Lawsuit Crazy SoCal I'll get laughed out of the joint for making such a request. And anyway, I'd rather stage on land that I actually own (i.e. our public land). :busted:

We parked there yesterday.

Hey btw, obviously I haven't been up there since the construction started. I can't help but wonder what riding the Mesa is like on Sundays or Saturdays now that the construction has happened.

How is the squid/quad god/goon rider factor? Did they all just migrate to El Mirage or are they using the alternate staging area on the 138 and trashing the jeep trail going up Cleghorn?

It was getting pretty ubearable right up before the construction. The staging area was starting to look like a Mexican refugee camp.

On the way to the summit about 1/8th mile before the top there is a forest road, 2N34 I believe, turn right on this road and about another 1/8th mile on your left there is a small parking area. You can stage here, make sure you have an adventure pass. :busted:

That's good to hear but I don't believe the RR or the FS actually approve that path of travel. Perhaps they are turning the blind eye because of the construction closing down the staging area.

The kiosk at the staging area actually shows that route as an approved trail. It looks like the kiosk has been there for awhile, so I am not sure if they just added it due to the construction.

Hey btw, obviously I haven't been up there since the construction started. I can't help but wonder what riding the Mesa is like on Sundays or Saturdays now that the construction has happened.

How is the squid/quad god/goon rider factor? Did they all just migrate to El Mirage or are they using the alternate staging area on the 138 and trashing the jeep trail going up Cleghorn?

It was getting pretty ubearable right up before the construction. The staging area was starting to look like a Mexican refugee camp.

It was cold, windy and raining so we never saw another bike on the trail. Staging area was empty. Saw 2 trucks pulling in when we were leaving.

There is a sign @ the entrance off 138 exit that says " OHV staging at Summit".