Why do the stickers bubble and peel off tank?

well i have been searching all day and i have found a solution to the tank decal problem but it isnt what i originally wanted to do. i cannot find any kind of tank sealer that i trust to not come off and get into the fuel. the only solution i see is that you can buy sheets of tyvek that is similar to vinyl that comes with an adhesive backing. aparently someone got some of this and put it on his tank and after 3 months it is fine. im sure you could buy some of this tyvek sheeting and bring it to any sign or printing company and have them copy the design of your original tank decal onto the tyvek and print it out for just a few bucks. hope this helps :busted:

Man, there's got to be something. I'm also very interested in sealing in the vapors that get through the plastic...not really because of peeling stickers, but more just for the environmental peace of mind. The stock tank does that just fine, but it's kinda funny looking and small, so I'm looking for a way to have cake and eat it too I guess. I know that the Honda Insight Hybrid car uses a plastic tank for weight savings with a layer of Ethyl Vinyl Alcohol to seal the tank, so it is very possible: http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enfueltank.html I need to get my hands on some of that, or something like that that would do the same thing. Any ideas?

go to a fabric store a get the pounce wheel i believe it's called...not positive about the name but it's a wheel with little points all around it's radius(kinda looks like a pizza cutter with spikes)...then before u apply the tank graphics, measure and mark approximately 1/4" grids, use a straight edge and perforate the decal then apply...

i have no firsthand experience but kown someone who did with gud results.

:applause:

If you want to keep fumes from coming out of your gas plastic gas tank, get something called johnsons floor wax. coat your plastic with it. or, if you already have graphix on, just coat you graphics with it and it'll keep it from tearing.

If you want to keep fumes from coming out of your gas plastic gas tank, get something called johnsons floor wax. coat your plastic with it. or, if you already have graphix on, just coat you graphics with it and it'll keep it from tearing.

you have tried this and it works?? also if you put it on before the decals it still allows them to stick to the tank??

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna look into that. Does it wear off from the friction of your legs when riding or is it pretty durable?...obviously crashing would do a number on it I'm sure.

a few of my buddys have done it and, the apply it any time they get a new bike, because it shields the plastic from scratches. Also, any time they put it on, the stock decals were still on the bike, so i'm not sure if new ones would still stick. i'm going to be trying it tomorrow for my own bike. To answer Cornelieaz's question, this stuff is floor wax, and can take a beating if you think about how your always walking on the floor. although, i'm sure after riding through puddles and vibration, the wax will wear off. But, if that happens just apply some more every so often and you should be good to go.

a few of my buddys have done it and, the apply it any time they get a new bike, because it shields the plastic from scratches. Also, any time they put it on, the stock decals were still on the bike, so i'm not sure if new ones would still stick. i'm going to be trying it tomorrow for my own bike. To answer Cornelieaz's question, this stuff is floor wax, and can take a beating if you think about how your always walking on the floor. although, i'm sure after riding through puddles and vibration, the wax will wear off. But, if that happens just apply some more every so often and you should be good to go.

How did it go SBR? I'd like to try it out on my new tank and could use you're input.