Sign in to follow this  

Replace your shift stopper!

If you have an 05 or 06 YZ125 this needs to be replaced with the 07 part. The older part has a bearing that will come apart causing engine damage. If you are comfortable replacing a topend on your bike this should be no problem. I am posting basic instructions and a couple pics.

1. Drain oil and water.

2. Remove exhaust pipe, rear brake lever, kick starter, radiator hose connected to water pump and shift lever.

3. Remove ypvs linkage cover and rubber seal, disconnect linkage.

4. Remove 10 bolts securing the right side engine cover. One bolt in the water pump goes all the way through as does one from the clutch cover. Remove clutch cover.

100_0761.jpg

5. Remove 5 bolts and pressure plate, remove cluthch plates, clutch boss.

remove nut and clutch housing (basket). You should use a clutch holding tool for this.

6. Pull shift shaft out. Remove 2 bolts and shift guide assembly, beware of spring loaded pawls. The service manual will be handy here for reassembly. Pry shift stopper down and remove segment.

100_0763.jpg

7. You can now remove one bolt and replace the stopper lever, noting the position of the spring.

8. Re-assemble, make sure the ypvs governer is seated in the bearing on engine cover before you try to replace cover.

Please add instruction if you see anything that I missed, thanks.

• Like 3

I just picked up my new stopper from the shop... I kind of hope mine isnt already broke. The bike is fairly hard to shift... would that be a cause?

I just picked up my new stopper from the shop... I kind of hope mine isnt already broke. The bike is fairly hard to shift... would that be a cause?

It could be, If it were mine I would crack it open before I ride anymore.

Is it just a 125 problem or are the 250's effected aswell?

Honestly I'm not sure but I thought it was just the 125's.

Point of caution. Make sure you use a torque wrench on the stopper screw. When the manual says 7 ft. lbs., it means it. You really don't want to break off the head on that one.

Great directions, but to make things a bit easier it can be done just be removing the clutch access cover. I replaced it on my son's 05 YZ125 before selling it. The bike was impossible to find neutral bit otherwise shifted fine. The original stopper was worn completely down, guess I was lucky no damage had been done to the engine.

It was already asked before, but I did not see a definitive answer. Is this only for a 125? I have never heard of this for the 250 and this has got me to wondering.

Great directions, but to make things a bit easier it can be done just be removing the clutch access cover. I replaced it on my son's 05 YZ125 before selling it. The bike was impossible to find neutral bit otherwise shifted fine. The original stopper was worn completely down, guess I was lucky no damage had been done to the engine.

Are you guys talking about the round outermost cover? That is what I call the clutch cover but I know the larger cover is called the clutch cover sometimes also. I could see it being posible to do it from the small cover, but wasn't the spring on the stopper lever a PIA without removing the shift segment?

I just replaced mine today... WOW how much smoother/nicer/easier it shifts!!!

I could definitely see where some metal (from the exploded bearing) went through the tranny, but nothing looked too detrimental to the trans or clutch and everything turned smooth.

Other than the shift shaft being slightly bent all looked pretty good!

And for everyone who might be contemplating whether or not to change it.... DO IT!!!! ASAP!!!

• Like 1

I could definitely see where some metal (from the exploded bearing) went through the tranny, but nothing looked too detrimental to the trans or clutch and everything turned smooth.

I sure hope that you flushed the cases a few times just to make sure that you got everything out of there. :cool:

^^^ oohhh Yes! It got a good gallon of cleaner through it and had its oil changed twice right after. No more metal in that bad biotch! :cool:

Quick question:

Is there anyway to tell if it needs to be replaced or has already broken without taking apart the engine?

I'm going to look at a '05 125 soon and I want to make sure that it hasn't already broken and caused damage. Thanks for the help!

-iRock

It shifts harder... but with out being able to compare a good one with a bad one back to back you may not be able to tell. Also if the oil has and metal, more specifically steel, filings then that a good way to tell. If the metal shavings stick to a magnet then its either pieces of gear or the bearing from the roller disintegrated.