Will a heavier flywheel help stalling on my YZ450?

Hey Oldracer,

I have learned to ride the YZ450 with the idle turned up a bit higher than usual. This is something my Son taught me. Granted I do not race, however I have learned to corner faster without the clutch - thus very few stalls.

Hope this helps.

A flywheel weight will definately improve the stalling problem. Since this bike is so new I suspect that we won't start seeing items like this for a couple more months....The fastest company on the market has always been "Stealthy". They cater to high end bikes.

Try this link:

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/about_steahlyweights.shtml

PS...I just talked with them, they are working on the YZ450F Flywheel Weight's as we speak and they will be available within the next couple of weeks.

Bonzai 🙂

Sorry to hear about your son Garret but I know he is with your family and you at all times. Think of him and smile and that is his spirit shinning through. I bet he likes nothing better than watching you ride at the track, so don`t be supprised if you here laughing from time to time. God bless.

I'm sure the extra flywheel weight would help somewhat. But I came off a 250 2-stroke to the 450f having never ridden but a few laps here and there on a 426 and CR450 and I learned there is definatley a little different riding style to the 450 and 4 strokes in general. Little things like rolling on and off the throttle and getting used to the compression braking and 4 speed gearbox...etc.. All I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't know how much saddle time you have on this monster but chances are the things that bother you today if left unchanged probobly won't be an issue in 6 months. Save some bucks and try the idle and maybe alter your style a touch. It worked for me.

Yes the flywheel will help. And as the previous post said you need to adjust your technique. The biggest no no is going completely off throttle with the clutch pulled in a slow corner and then dumping the clutch while whacking the throttle. Instant stall! You need to keep the throttle cracked just a little even when using the clutch. I got to extreme with my non use of my clutch also and was stalling in tight corners by letting the revs drop way to low and finally the thing would just catch and quit. As far as the size of the weight goes I think it depends on what kind of riding you do primarily. I ride a lot of MX and didn't want to tame the hit completely so I only put on a 8oz weight. If your more of a woods/trail guy you might want to go heavier. Just remember you still need to pull in that clutch once in a while an roll the throttle on gently out of those really tight corners. The higher idle setting does help some also but if you go to far it can make it harder to start when you do kill the motor.