Sign in to follow this  

Trials tire on a 125?

russ,

im running an irc on my wr 250 . i will never go back to a knobby for multiple reasons .

traction in sand is much improved

the " sticky rubber " is phenomenal in rocks , ruts , and soft soil.

the tire rides " on top" of the surface , unlike a knobby it doesnt dig in and takes less effort to gain forward momentum .

they last forever , if you keep them off of the pavement ,,

total traction on hill climbs , minimal wheel spin . you learn to controll the throttle that much more ..

the bike feels a little wollowee at first , due to the higher sidewall, ive been playing with the pressure a bit and have settled on 12.5 lb,s .. again its a little wollowee at high speed , but the trade off for traction in the tight is worth it ..

i would definetly run one on a 125 or any bike for that matter , due to the improved traction and less wheel spin .

gggg007.jpg

It is definitely worth a try. In my opinion I think it depends a lot on your riding style, where you ride, and you taking the time to get used to it. I had one on a 125 but it seemed the riding I was doing on it was more Hare Scramblet woods with no tough hill climbs or any rocks. There was also a lot of more flat turns. I have since been running a S-12 again but will not rule out a trials tire on a 125 when the terrain gets tough. The bad things or I should say different things I noticed on the 125 is when you are coming into a tight turn and you want to brake slide the rear around, the trials tire will want to go straight. The other is there is more top end than bottom on a 125 so if you plan on letting it eat wide open once the trials tire starts spinning it loses momentum fast compared to a knobby that will still dig forward. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it but I think the S-12 is a little better for me in my area. If you are doing more open Hare Scramble stuff I am still a knobby user, Goat trails then yes the trials tire works great. The trials tire will go up some serious stuff that is almost impossible with a knobby by average Joes (not Chod). I definitely think you should try it for yourself. Search Trials tire as it has been covered before and eveyone has a opinion on which tire. My next one will be the Dunlop 803 or the Mita. I used a Michelin I had from Trials days but the Dunlop is almost half the price of the Michelin and I see no difference in it hooking up. A lot of people swear by IRC but I kind of find them not as soft as the other two. A guy on TT said the Mita had a stiffer sidewall and prevented cuts. In our east coast area we were running more like 8-10lbs. Also keep a eye out on the valve stem moving, some constant trials tire users use two rim locks.

Thanks for the inputs. I run a trials tire on my TE 450 and love it. I was concerned whether or not the 125 would have enough power to pull it without sacrificing the great handleing. I had a trials tire on a Honda CR 250 and I had to keep the tire pressure up or it would get too good of traction and the front end would not track well coming out of corners. I heard that Mitas has a 19 inch trials tire. I wonder if it has a narrower foot print than the 18's.

... I heard that Mitas has a 19 inch trials tire....

When you find out for sure let us know.

Last I checked only the Chen Shin type bias ply was available in 19" as opposed to the 4.00 x 18" 2 ply radial competition trials tire.

Like trials tires too :cool:

Do it. We all run trials tires here for trail riding and this year have raced on them a few times in rocky enduros. From a 125 to a 450 they work great. My nephew won his class at a very muddy/rocky enduro last fall running an IRC radial trials tire on a GasGas 125. I prefer the Mitas as its a litttle stiffer and more durable on my GG 250, and the rounder profile corners better. The IRC is good though, easy to get, and will last a season easy on a 125. Run a good rimlock and Moose HD tube and you will be amazed. IRC on a 125 run about 8.5 PSI, Mitas a little less @ 7.5 PSI.

Thats not a radial trials tire, just a speedway tire with a similar tread. There is no such thing as a 19" radial because no trials bikes run 19" rear wheels.