xr80 suspension help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbee here.

I bought a 88 xr80 and now I read about changeing the front forks out with an 80's model cr80 to correct the front end and getting different shock for rear, and to add some lift to the rear. I have searched the past articles to find out just what needs to be done to change the forks and didnt find any thing.

Could someone tell me what I would need off the cr80? triple clamp, and all or does the forks fit right on the xr. Also would the rear shock interchange.

I am a welder and as long as its mild steel I can make some frame chages at home on my little cracker box .

I know it is only an 80 but my Daughter is learning and I cant leave any thing alone. I have to keep fixing things till its broke real good.

Bayou 220

Kx80 bored and ported by Eric Gore

Xr80

im also new here and you should go with a complete cr frame i did it and it is a blast i built it in about 14 hrs. the hardest part is the rear motor mount after that it all falls together. i had to do some thinking on the intake also whitch i used 1 1/2 in. conduit(sp) to build .

The CR/XR conversions are pretty easy compared to getting a stock framed XR up to a good standard. (Sorry guys 🙂) Stuffing the XR motor in a CR frame is a much better idea but I think the question was about CR80 forks on the XR frame. I had problems when I tried this on a '00 XR80 as you need the "right" triple clamps. minifig-phil has done it I'm sure. Phil you out there?

You can use Early ('80-'95) CR forks. There are 3 (maybe 4) different models, 30mm, 33mm, and 35mm. You can also use XR200 forks, even Elsinore forks. But, each one has their own set of problems. Mainly they are all too long and need to be cut down, plus they are still way soft, and then there is the triple clamp problem. What ever you do make sure you get the triple clamps. I got all my fork off ebay for pretty cheap. (no more than 25 bucks)

As far as the rear goes, there is an article with pictures on how to gain 2-5 inches of lift and travel just by moving the linkage mount on the frame. Go to www.socalxrs.com and look in the tech articles link. Then look under the one called Aussie lift. You will still need a Works Performance shock.

I agree that making a XR100 better is alot of work compared with cheating and putting a XR motor into a CR frame. I'll admit I have been tempted by this and thankfully CR80 experts weren't availible in Canada. By next spring you guys will see a pretty Trick pure XR100 that will be be competitive with the conversions. I will be selling some of the bolt on parts that aren't availible today when I'm finished with the R&D.