One week old fuel. Basically like this:

- fresh fuel in bike

- ride bike, doing the lean over thing to start

- wait one week

- fresh fuel in bike

- ride bike, doing the lean over thing to start

- rinse and repeat 

4 hours ago, pontoon said:

I believe it’s a 48 as I jetted the bike according to the chart in the manual. I did change out the needle from NOZH to one that people seem to like a lot. 

where does the air screw end up with the 48 

On 2/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

You should still have a good bit of life in your crank. Andrew also has developed a spec for checking the lower (big end) needle bearing play. I believe it's .019" side to side rock. Someone may want to chime in on that in case I'm wrong. 

I'd be very interested in this measurement if others can chime in too... 

I have my cylinder off for a replate, PowerSeal, and wouldn't mind doing the crank if it needs it. No up/down slop, but slight side-side -- I'll have to measure it now as I didn't know there was a tolerance suggestion.

Thanks  everyone!

Micah

18 hours ago, th1npower said:

I have my cylinder off for a replate, PowerSeal, and wouldn't mind doing the crank if it needs it. No up/down slop, but slight side-side -- I'll have to measure it now as I didn't know there was a tolerance suggestion.

Thanks  everyone!

Micah

There should be a measurement in your manual?  

• Like 1

After months of trying desperately to find a KTM 200 (I once owned an '06 200 XC which I regret selling) I was at the end of my rope.  Completely frustrated.  Last deal, I drove 2 hours to look at a 2011 which I was told was titled... and discovered it was being sold by a mechanic because his "team rider" didn't pay his repair bill.  Problem was, seller did not place a mechanic's lean on the bike, did not have a title, and only had a MCO in some OTHER person's name (not the rider or the seller).  MCO's are not transferrable.  Not to mention the bike was SO ragged out, that the rear wheel would wobble almost 1/2" left to right and the brake pedal and kick starter were about to just fall off, and almost everything was broken, bent, or rusty.   YEAH RIGHT!  I just walked away pissed.

So 4 hours of my life and half a tank of gas wasted. 

BUT just as I was losing hope I checked into a 2005 KTM 200 EXC (actually the exact year and model I was looking for because I am only 5'4" and wanted the 125 sized frame) for a fantastic price just 30 minutes away.  When I arrived to look at the bike, I was told it included extra plastics, headlight and tail light, extra pipe, sprockets, steering stabilizer, seat, stiffer springs, extra air filter, service manual, owner's manual, all original paperwork, and titled by the ORIGINAL purchaser.  The bike was in EXCELLENT condition, and was extremely well maintained by an experienced long time racer.  It was immediately clear that this bike was going to be perfect, and it was.  I almost didn't even care to start it and ride it because I knew it would be perfect after meeting the seller, and of course it was.

I was so happy I offered this gentleman MORE than he was asking, in gratitude, and he refused, even after I put the extra cash in his hand.  He just handed it back to me.

I can't even tell you how happy I am today. I am not sure I'll ever let this bike slip from my fingers again.  I never win the lottery but I feel like I got darn close today.

IMG_4537.jpg

Edited by Florida Gliderpilot
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Florida Gliderpilot said:

After months of trying desperately to find a KTM 200 (I once owned an '06 200 XC which I regret selling) I was at the end of my rope.  Completely frustrated.  Last deal, I drove 2 hours to look at a 2011 which I was told was titled... and discovered it was being sold by a mechanic because his "team rider" didn't pay his repair bill.  Problem was, seller did not place a mechanic's lean on the bike, did not have a title, and only had a MCO in some OTHER person's name (not the rider or the seller).  MCO's are not transferrable.  Not to mention the bike was SO ragged out, that the rear wheel would wobble almost 1/2" left to right and the brake pedal and kick starter were about to just fall off, and almost everything was broken, bent, or rusty.   YEAH RIGHT!  I just walked away pissed.

So 4 hours of my life and half a tank of gas wasted. 

BUT just as I was losing hope I checked into a 2005 KTM 200 EXC (actually the exact year and model I was looking for because I am only 5'4" and wanted the 125 sized frame) for a fantastic price just 30 minutes away.  When I arrived to look at the bike, I was told it included extra plastics, headlight and tail light, extra pipe, sprockets, steering stabilizer, seat, stiffer springs, extra air filter, service manual, owner's manual, all original paperwork, and titled by the ORIGINAL purchaser.  The bike was in EXCELLENT condition, and was extremely well maintained by an experienced long time racer.  It was immediately clear that this bike was going to be perfect, and it was.  I almost didn't even care to start it and ride it because I knew it would be perfect after meeting the seller, and of course it was.

I was so happy I offered this gentleman MORE than he was asking, in gratitude, and he refused, even after I put the extra cash in his hand.  He just handed it back to me.

I can't even tell you how happy I am today. I am not sure I'll ever let this bike slip from my fingers again.  I never win the lottery but I feel like I got darn close today.

IMG_4537.jpg

Nice Score! Any reason you were looking for 05s in paricular? I've been searching too. As far as I can tell, in 04, they got new plastics and suspension, and then 07 they get multiple ignition maps, but then in 08 they go to the full size frame. I was thinking 07 was the year to have, but I am no expert by any means.

• Like 1

On February 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM, th1npower said:

I don't find a specific measurement for this w/i then engine manual, 02-08. I wonder if it's listed in the 09+ manual.

Take care,

Micah

Hey, I've only heard of that spec on KTMTalk. I'd love to see it in my manual though. It was told to my by shovelit. He told me Andrew was the one who came up with it, but it was all in the context of "I think". Same with the measurement I posted. Maybe contact Andrew personally? 

Actually, maybe I'll do it tomorrow. I'm about to pull the head off my 200 and send it out to be cut. Might as well check the big bearing if I'm in that far. I'll post here, or let you know via FB when I find out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Juney said:

Nice Score! Any reason you were looking for 05s in paricular? I've been searching too. As far as I can tell, in 04, they got new plastics and suspension, and then 07 they get multiple ignition maps, but then in 08 they go to the full size frame. I was thinking 07 was the year to have, but I am no expert by any means.

I was actually looking for an EXC/XC-W in the 05-07 range. The way I remember it (which may or may not be entirely accurate) is that in 05 they got a redesigned motor which was lighter and a little stronger than the 04.  The 05 EXC had the wide ratio gear box and lighting. The bike was renamed the XC-W for 06, and lighting removed but the lighting coil was left in place, just no lights, wiring or switches.  The 05-07 is a 200 in a 125 frame but in 08 the frame got a bit longer for bigger guys.

I wanted the lighting, the odo, wide ratio gearbox, and the smaller frame and the lighter engine.  So the '05 was the perfect year for me to get all that.  

My 06 was an XC, (narrow gearbox).  After having ridden the EXC there is definitely a big gap from 4th to 5th and 6th, and the lower gears feel a little closer but I am not sure, I haven't checked the specs.  But I think this would actually come in handy in Enduros and Hare scrambles where you are going from tight single track to big open areas with sweeping turns.   So that's why I decided to try the EXC.

I can't believe how light the bike is. It's 10 pounds lighter than my daughter's little CRF150F!

1 hour ago, Florida Gliderpilot said:

I was actually looking for an EXC/XC-W in the 05-07 range. The way I remember it (which may or may not be entirely accurate) is that in 05 they got a redesigned motor which was lighter and a little stronger than the 04.  The 05 EXC had the wide ratio gear box and lighting. The bike was renamed the XC-W for 06, and lighting removed but the lighting coil was left in place, just no lights, wiring or switches.  The 05-07 is a 200 in a 125 frame but in 08 the frame got a bit longer for bigger guys.

I wanted the lighting, the odo, wide ratio gearbox, and the smaller frame and the lighter engine.  So the '05 was the perfect year for me to get all that.  

My 06 was an XC, (narrow gearbox).  After having ridden the EXC there is definitely a big gap from 4th to 5th and 6th, and the lower gears feel a little closer but I am not sure, I haven't checked the specs.  But I think this would actually come in handy in Enduros and Hare scrambles where you are going from tight single track to big open areas with sweeping turns.   So that's why I decided to try the EXC.

I can't believe how light the bike is. It's 10 pounds lighter than my daughter's little CRF150F!

Sounds like we have similar priorities. One of the things that draws me to the 200 is the smaller, lighter design, so the bigger frame seems like a step in the wrong direction. I'd also like to have the lighting capabilities (so long as the stator is up to it and the wiring harness setup, I can handle getting an aftermarket light if need be). 

I'm not sure about the close ratio/wide ratio gears. Ideally I think the wider set would be more useful given the intended use I have. That said, I am sure I could get by fine with the close ratio. If I could just find one that's not clapped out and a 6 hour drive away...

I've mostly been watching facebook marketplace and craigslist. A few have popped up, but they are usually sold by the time I get ahold of the seller. I'll keep watching like a hawk...

12 minutes ago, Juney said:

If I could just find one that's not clapped out and a 6 hour drive away...

I've mostly been watching facebook marketplace and craigslist. A few have popped up, but they are usually sold by the time I get ahold of the seller. I'll keep watching like a hawk...

Yeah finding one is no easy task. Im my experience both times I got my 200 from older guys who were racing hare scrambles.  If they have money and time to race regularly, the generally also have money and time to keep the bike in good condition.  So based on my recent experience I would say skip craigslist (it was nothing but headaches) and join any woods racing specific forum (in my case FTR) and watch those classifieds or even better start asking around. Many times people have not gotten around to listing the bike and you can scoop it up before they do. My bike popped up on FTR and that is when I realized it was going to be a good one.

14 minutes ago, kgmkgm said:

Are there any LED options for wiring up my 40watt 2007 200 XC-W? I don't need huge light, but it would be nice to have, and it increases the resale a little bit.

I installed a lighting kit on my 06 XC with no problems but it was not LED. The coil has just enough current to handle a small headlight and tail light. Someone else can probably answer regarding LED equivilent.

There's a beautiful one in W FL I believe on Facebook Marketplace. All white plastics, lots of goodies with it (as in a whole set of OEM plastics, even the bike carrier). It looks really nice. Somewhere in the '05-'07 range. I've been talking to him a little on there. Really nice guy and seems anal with his stuff. If I were there, I'd pick it up in a second. He's now dropped the price (but taking away the goodies) for anyone who wants it shipped. I believe it's $2800 shipped to you. If you pick it up, you get all the stuff with it for that price. 

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

1 hour ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

There's a beautiful one in W FL I believe on Facebook Marketplace. All white plastics, lots of goodies with it (as in a whole set of OEM plastics, even the bike carrier). It looks really nice. Somewhere in the '05-'07 range. I've been talking to him a little on there. Really nice guy and seems anal with his stuff. If I were there, I'd pick it up in a second. He's now dropped the price (but taking away the goodies) for anyone who wants it shipped. I believe it's $2800 shipped to you. If you pick it up, you get all the stuff with it for that price. 

I couldnt find that one... there is a 2011 for 3500 listed in more than one location. The seller will take $2900, BUT its totally ragged out and was blown up and new crank installed ... but there is no valid paperwork other than MCO is someone's name,  not owner or seller.  The bike may have been titled but you wont know without a vin search.  I would avoid this one myself and I did actually walk away from the deal... and found my 05 the same day.

FWIW, I paid $1900 for my 2005 and I would call it excellent condition.

On February 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM, th1npower said:

Thanks  everyone!

Micah

I'm gonna pm you a link to a thread I found over on KTMTalk. Check over there for the pm...

According to AC, time to rebuild at .090", or 2.3mm. Measured at the top of the rod, not sliding the rod. Bottom fixed, rocking the rod parallel to crank (obviously). 

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1