Has anybody had their yz tank welded?

I was wondering If anybody has had their cracked yz tank proffesionally welded and if so how has it held up. I have a tank that is cracked under the tank strap and was wanting to get it fixed since I don't use it that much and can't see spending the 170 bucks to get a new one. Thanks

I own a collision repair shop and we use plastic welding equipment. We generally stay away from repairing anything in a really high stress area and from a liability standpoint I would never consider repairing a fuel tank. Windshield washer reservoir or a fender liner? You betcha! Gas tank? No way. I have seen it done though with mixed results. I wouldn't chance it. Post a wanted ad,you can probably find a good used one right here for a good price.

After you weld/patch that fuel tank and you look down one day to see your "glowing" head pipe, you might want to consider whether it really was worth it. You'll have to replace it before you sell it anyway, what if it let's go on someone after you sell it. Whew, how much is that worth.....Replace it now, and just put off a few of the extras till later. 🙂