Sign in to follow this  

Kouba link Fit for an '04 TE 450????

I did a search for some of the info and went to kouba's website but found nothing definitive on wether a Kouba link would work on an '04 Te 450 "without" having to modify the swingarm. Any one out there done it for this specific bike, if so what did it take to fit or was it a straight bolt on deal. I'm vertically challenged at 5'06 with a 30" inseam........Dan from Motoexotica I'm in your town will you shave the seat for me? Thanks for any and all replies......

Believe it is more common to have the suspension lowered by a suspension person, mine was $50 extra to lower both ends while it was being serviced & re-valved.

Although a link may be available - don't know.

Coffee;

Thanks for the reply...Just got an e-mail from one of Kouba link's distributors and they say for the '04 you still have to shave the swingarm down a bit. Can you tell me what it entails to have a suspension person lower it for you ? and who did it? I'm in Motoxotica dan's neck of the woods does he do such work??? Thanks again

I sent mine to this guy just to be different

IMGP2039Small.jpg

He has an assistant

IMGP1998Small.jpg

He took out the check plate on the mid-valve shown here and put in a shim stack

IMGP2036Small.jpg

He put a spacer in front forks, and the rear shock - here is a pic of where it goes in the rear shock

IMGP2030Small.jpg

Dan may suggest Aftershocks on the peninsula - San Mateo? In the end I decided on John Curea at MX tech in Pennsylvania - ups because he is a moderator and supporter on thumper talk.

There are several options - refer to the sticky at the top of the page.

:cool:

Coffee;

Thanks for the pictorial good stuff....by adding the spacers was there any loss of suspension travel?

Yes - lower it an inch, loose an inch of ground clearance & an inch of travel. As far as I know it would be the same with the Kuoba link - if you lowered the front of the bike by sliding up the fork tubes.

I'm not that tall and lowered it 1.5" - that was too much, now it is the same height as out crf230. I would not recommend more than 1" lower to anyone. Our Husqvarna is a 2006 TE250.

Norm Kouba worked my old DR350 suspension over yrs ago, w/revalve, springs and his Kouba Link (for control in that case, not lowering) Excellent work, and has an excellent product.

So, after the few first days playing on my tippy-toes w/my '05 TE510, my first thought was go get a Kouba HL1 Link for 1" lowering and push the forks up another inch (you do not loose travel this way, but 'may" rub tire on fender on really big hits, and do lower seat ht and ground clearance)...... then I read about the grinding on his web site and didn't like the idea of doing that on a new bike, so opted instead to have the Husky dealer lower "seat height" 1.5" using travel limiters/spacers, as Coffee shows above.

When I went to pick it up, I immediately thought they screwed up because even looked way lower. They rechecked and said it was 1.5" less travel, but I'd swear seat ht/ground clearance is closer to 2 if not 2.5" lower. (should have taken pre-work measurements to verify) Right now it sits about the same as our KDX200 lowered 1.5" w/Kouba Link and forks pushed up in clamps.

After more suspension adjustments and going on a couple trail rides, it was nice being that low in a few 1st gear tight spots, plus I'm not hitting 20ft jumps at 50mph, so it did ok, but personally I'm not real pleased overall and almost feel I wasted my money.....I have to live w/it for now

I guess it depends on the person and/or riding conditions, bottomline I totally agree w/Coffee...1.5" is too much.

When I went to pick it up, I immediately thought they screwed up because even looked way lower. They rechecked and said it was 1.5" less travel, but I'd swear seat ht/ground clearance is closer to 2 if not 2.5" lower.

I can't figure it out either... and yes I was very very careful about measuring & testing. 1.5" lower was too much for me. An excellent rider at diamond lake OR in October (sept?) rode it and he seemed to bottom out once in a while - but he is a bit bigger than I and much much faster.

When it is due for service might have a different spacer put in.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies ...I think with all the feedback I'll just shave the seat down 1" to 1.5" to get it to where i'm comfortable and can put my feet down. Just like to have that confidence of being able to put my foot down without sacrificing the swingarm.......

FWIW - I put the Kouba link on my '06 450 and the amount of "modification" to the swingarm was very minimal. You wouldn't notice it if it wasn't pointed out and was done using a dremel.

studio5o.......maybe it's worth rechecking stock shock clearance as noted on Kouba Link page to see if your swingarm would actually need trimming?

http://www.koubalink.com/Husky%204%20Stroke.html

I had little time since lowering the bike to ride much out in our high desert. Stock is was great out there at higher speed, just too dang tall everywhere else, like on stop/go roads or slow tight mtn trails. This spring, I'll get out there again and really open it up on a few bad whoop sections/jumps to see how it handles things.

If I just can't stand it, I'll be taking another look at my options.....either having spacers deduced to 1"(?) or going down to talk w/Kouba's shop

Nielly.....I've read very little on Husky's w/Kouba Link and never rode or talked w/anyone who has them on a Husky. (matter-of-fact, I've only seen a Husky on the road/trail around here 3 times so far)

Of course when you put the links on for lowering, you need to push forks up in the clamps as well to maintain same basic geometry, but the longer links also modify the rear action/reaction......Did you have enough time of the bike stock to notice any improved suspension performance from the Kouba link?

On my '94 DR350 I used Kouba links only get full travel (a true 11" not 9" it really had stock) and to get rid of the nasty Suzuki rebound side kick they have stock......did do some revalve/springs also, but ended up w/greatly improved action so I could actually ride it off-road above 50mph. I've noticed similar improvements on DRZ400 from just a link change.

On our '05 KDX200, used them for lowering for my then short novice son....2 yrs later, now over 6' and better rider, but still wants to keep links and lowered. Links improved rear suspension action during aggressive riding on it too.

I rode the bike stock for about half the time i've had it. I'm no suspension expert and I don't ride real fast. I set the suspension up according to the base settings more or less and pretty much leave it alone. From what I understand the link doesn't really limit travel, it just changes the position of the arc the suspension will travel through (moves it up) What this means I suppose is the if you're into jumps and such you could run into a situation where the rear tire is contacting the fender. I haven't had this happen but like I said I'm not real aggressive. Really, the only reason I got the link was for the lowering and I liked the idea that if I didn't like it I could just go out into the garage and in 15 minutes put it back to stock. I like it lowered, to me it makes the bike feel a lot less top heavy in technical riding which was, to me, worth the change in suspension action and less ground clearance. As far as improving the action, I'm not so sure. It's definitely different but if pressed I would have to say the action with the stock link was probably better. Also, I was a little worried about the whole "modify the swingarm" thing as well and how I handled it was to test fit the link before greasing it all up to check the clearance. It actually fit in but with the bike off the stand the rear of the spring rubbed on the very top of crossmember just slightly. I don't know if they would have taken it back (it seemed to me they might have) but I was ready to eat it anyhow.

Base setting/suspension on these Husky's is pretty good stock compared to a lot of bikes I've ridden over the years.

You're right, the link does change the arc the suspension travels thru....and (depending on bike) could actually increase travel, causing it hit the fender even if not using it for lowering. Stiffer pre-load (or spring if needed) cure that easy.

That is what it did on my DR350, it had claimed 11" travel, but was actually only little over 9", the Kouba link w/recommended non-lowering sag, got me the full 11" and would put light rub marks on the fender on my hardest/fastest drops or jumps.

I agree that the lowering made for a lower center-of-gravity, feels better and easier handling in tech sections.....which is nice....and something seat trimming will not give.

It's outside of that area of riding, I'm still struggling w/how low mine is and catching rocks w/skid plate more. May end up changing spacers or look to the Kouba link for only 1" lowering.....just not ready to throw another $200-$400 at it...again.

Anyone know a place that will do a profession shave job on the stock seat? I know, I know, I'm lazy!

David

Guys,

Thanks for the replies ...I think with all the feedback I'll just shave the seat down 1" to 1.5" to get it to where i'm comfortable and can put my feet down. Just like to have that confidence of being able to put my foot down without sacrificing the swingarm.......

Rlw...thx for the reply....i measured and sure enough it looks like i'll have to shave the swingarm....

Fitness....any local upholstery shp should be able to do this. A local shop in my area charges between 50 to 75 bucks depending on how much shaving he has to do....