Snuffed the Snorkle

Following the great advice of you TT'ers, I did the "Gordon's Mod" on my '02 XR400. It made a fun bike "funner"!

One question though. Has anybody done anything with the open hole where the snorkle used to be? It seems like it is a good catch all for lots of debris. Is this a problem or should I just shut up & ride?

As always, thanks for all your help!

Ok, here goes -- My 02 XR is great for tight woods, yet in open areas, it sucks and it is heavy, Needs more power. (enough of the complaints).

It is easy to work on, no radiator to break or leak, simple bike.

Yet I want more power -- How much more performance did you get with these mods, can you measure it ? 🙂

Nah, I'm not technical enough to measure it. But, I can tell you my XR4 now feels faster, stronger and sounds better. It went from :D to 🙂. And, that's before jetting (still waiting on them to arrive).

I really didn't have any complaints with it being stock. I just wanted to mess with it. Now, I'm glad I did!

I pulled have left the hole open for 2 years and have not had any issues as it is tucked under the seat, although I have heard many guys using the pantyhose trick to block out any big items.

Add a pipe and rejet and you have a completely new bike!

jabitw,

Did you say you haven't done the jetting yet??? If so, DON'T RIDE IT!!!(much). A little trip up and down the street probably wont hurt anything, but I wouldn't run it too much or too hard until you get the proper jetting installed. You'll also notice more of an improvement in power once you get the jetting dialed in.

Good Luck,

KS

'99 XR400

Renthal Bars (Carmicheal bend)

Scotts Damper

ESP Suspension

Summers Fork Brace

Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit

ICO Racing odo/speedo

Snorkle removed, Uni Filter, 160/58

96/97 end cap w/Vortip

Honda XR400's come with an intake snorkle that fit on the top of the airbox.

The snorkle does these things:

o Makes it harder for water to enter.

o Reduces intake noise.

o Reduces air allowed in the airbox allowing leaner jetting, which makes the EPA and California's CARB (Stricter than the EPA) happy.

96-97 XR's were jetted with the assumption you would pull the snorkle and exhaust insert quiet core as soon as you got home and go racing.

98-02 XR's were jetted assuming you'd leave the snorkle on the airbox and the quiet core is no longer removable, so you'd leave that in too.

For about $10 you can add 2-4 HP on any XR400 by pulling the snorkle, making the filter cage free flowing, rejetting ($5 main, $5 pilot, new needle needed CA model only), and a couple of holes drilled in the exhaust insert.

what do you think about cutting a larger opening in the top of the air box then putting some prefilter foam over the hhole or putting a aluminum scoop racing the back of the bike over the whole. This should let more air in. also there is a kit you can buy where you drill a two inch whole in the side of the airbox and rivit a aluminum ring with the mesh that the stock spark arrestor is made out of.