Garmin Rino Released!

Today Garmin shipped out its long awaited new product, the Rino. With the Rino 120 you can upload 8MB of maps to it (TOPO or street detail), it has a built in FRS and GMRS radio, and if your buddies that also have a Rino when they talk to you their position shows up on your GPS map. $220.

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/

rino120Big.jpg

positionGraphic.jpg

rino120scrnMap.gif

-Matt

i ordered mine 2 months ago.i talked to person from garmin yesterday they said they started shipping limited quantity last monday.depending on when i ordered and who my dealer was, would determine when i'll receive my rino120.i just emailed dealer where i preordered hopefully mine is already on its way to my house.but i doubt it.

Ok, here's me thinking outloud:

-The Rino only transmits your location when you talk on the FRS radio. That sucks.

-Rino will transmit location only once every 10 seconds max. due to FCC rules.

What if I made an electronic device that plugs in the mic jack and made a tone every 11 seconds, and I set the Rino on VOX mode?

hypothetically of course 🙂

-Matt

i just got off phone with my garmin dealer.he gave me bad news.he said Garmin has pre-sold 60,000 rino 120 units.that more than they planned on selling in 1 year so there will be a shortage.but thats not bad part,he said only 1000 units were released in USA by Garmin this past week.1000 units isnt even enough to give 1 rino to each dealer in US.he said end of month they might release more.i think Garmin released the 1000 just so they could say rino has been released.i know they were under some serious pressure by consumers because of multiple times release date has been postponed and moved to later date.

sure it should work, not sure what deveice you would plug in to tone generate

every 10 seconds. Ive seen digital battery operated metronomes that might

do the trick for you. Would be cool on a large group ride to watch everyones track, these would also be great for skiing, no more telling your buds which group of trees you are hiding in with the recreationals...;-)

I assume you can set groups so you have some security from

other rino users on your channel...;-)

I assume you can set groups so you have some security from

other rino users on your channel...;-)

When a user first makes contact with your Rino you can add or ignore them. If you ignore them they don't show up on your map.

I was thinking about making the tone generating device. I'm ok with circuit boards, soldering, and making basic circuits. We'll see anyway.

-Matt

Oh man why can't I be rich instead of just ugly! I really would like something like that even if I can't hear. I don't know how many times my buddies and me have played round and round the moutain trying to hook up. That could sure make life easier. George 🙂:D :D